Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reclaimed Copper (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't going to get into the re-using thing but OH left some offcuts on my desk when he was making a filter for his brewing bucket and my curiosity took over!

Although, I did ask for copper pipe on Freecycle and got some surly lord-knows-who sent me a rather stark, rude e-mail simply stating that "Copper is £1000 a ton you know!" with absolutely no other help whatsoever... like I was asking for a ton of it

Sounds familiar...we had our central heating redone...all the plastic small bore pipes replaced with copper to try to get the darn thing to actually work! I was at college then and asked them really nicely...with tea and biccies...if I could have any off cuts to use for my 'Light Metals' unit. After working for 3 days - using miles of copper pipe...they left me with five lengths...ranging from about 2 inches to about 9...covered in solder and full of crud!! Obviously out of some dark recesses of their van!!... Not quite the lovely shiny lengths I coveted!! ...but recieved with a rather tight smile of gratitude none the less!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    I use my OH's plumbing pipe cutter (From B&Q) and then my jewellers saw to cut it open and my Moms old pliers (she had them when she was 18 and use to make circuit boards) to pull it apart enough for me to grab Pats ruddy great hammer and belt it flat lol
    For 6" lengths and less of 22mm, I can pull the stuff open by hand once it is annealed. For the 15mm stuff I usually put in a wedge to open it out enough to grab it, then carry on. Makes less of a mess of the edges than pliers tend to.