Thread: Stone setting practice blanks

Default Stone setting practice blanks

Hi all, can anyone tell me were I can get practice blanks for stone setting. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi all, can anyone tell me were I can get practice blanks for stone setting. Thanks
    Stone setting is rather a large subject, but you can start with Cookson after all.
    The big problem with buying standard settings is they might not fit stones of the same nominal value, so you are on the whole much better to make your own bespoke ones. Dennis.

One possible solution might be the Trendsetter wheels by Blaine Lewis?

http://riograndeblog.com/2014/06/mas...setter-wheels/

Depends what setting you want to practice.

I can't believe the price of those Trendsetter wheels, though I'm sure they're handy.

Ring mounts of many different kinds as well as many ring shank/collet combinations can be had pretty cheaply at Cooksons. For grain/bead setting, a piece of suitably thick brass sheet will give you plenty of practice. Lots of flush setting practice can be squeezed out of any adequately wide and thick plain ring band.

Dennis makes a valid point about off-the-peg settings of a particular size not always actually being that particular size. However, if you're new to stonesetting and you've laboured long and hard fabricating a four-prong basket, for instance, you're going to have to be prepared to ruin it when you come to set the stone in it. Look on the bright side - at least you'll get more practice at fabricating settings.

I practised setting on a couple of dozen cast ring mounts and collet/shank combis before I tried to make my own settings. It was useful practice, and I discovered that whilst some of the off-the-peg mounts allow you to make fairly durable rings out of them even in silver, some make for a very flimsy finished product: this one, for instance. I ended up cutting the bendy basket off and using the shank to make a very different ring out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I can't believe the price of those Trendsetter wheels, though I'm sure they're handy.
    Looking at the prong setting wheel, that's 17 settings for about $35; so approximately $2/setting, including the stones. I think that compares quite well with the cheapest of off-the-shelf settings? Not used them at all, I'm just aware of them. I'd maybe baulk at the flush setting wheel though...

Ring mounts of many different kinds as well as many ring shank/collet combinations can be had pretty cheaply at Cooksons. For grain/bead setting, a piece of suitably thick brass sheet will give you plenty of practice. Lots of flush setting practice can be squeezed out of any adequately wide and thick plain ring band.

Dennis makes a valid point about off-the-peg settings of a particular size not always actually being that particular size. However, if you're new to stonesetting and you've laboured long and hard fabricating a four-prong basket, for instance, you're going to have to be prepared to ruin it when you come to set the stone in it. Look on the bright side - at least you'll get more practice at fabricating settings.
    I think that's the main thing with these - you get the settings and the right size stones. Much the same as the New Approach "classroom in a box" DVDs, where the brass rings & stones are supplied along with a couple of example tools.

Yes, I'm a fan
    Last edited by ps_bond; 16-07-2015 at 11:21 AM.

I didn't know the Trendsetters came with stones; that makes them seem more reasonably priced and will certainly take the sweat out of getting the right stones to fit.

Some of the ring blanks and collets at Cooksons are for multiple stones, which gives you a bit more practice for your money. I bought three of these a while ago: http://www.cooksongold.com/Cast-Ring...rcode-FSK-031A. For some reason they were only £3.50 each at the time (which is why I bought 3); I think they must have got the price wrong as they increased it considerably just after I bought them.

Another source for blanks is Peter Keep at Jewellery Training Solutions (in Australia!). Incidentally, there's a pair of very good training videos by him here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfPEofRKhU

I ate the sweet from New Approach "classroom in a box" DVDs thought it was a little surprise they packed for been good like at the doctors, didn't realise till I watched the film it was for setting out !

I'm relieved I wasn't the only one! Caught out by the habit of some US suppliers of bunging bits of candy in with the order, I assumed... Anyway, I like Jolly Rancher and you never seem to see it over here any more.
    Setting Princess cuts didn't have any