Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What database do you use to organise your stuff

Question What database do you use to organise your stuff

Hi All,

I dont know about everyone else, but I have lots of beads, findings, wire etc and am thinking about using Excel, to keep track of costs and get more organised.

What do you guys use?

Jules x

Sorry Jules, but pmsl at the idea!

My organisation consists of a large drawer for receipts. Er, that's it. Apart from using my paypal history pages a lot.

But I now where absolutely everything is

I do keep my findings pretty well sorted in craftmates caddies, the same goes for gemstones, jumprings and lots of other stuff - but most of it ends up on my workspace anyway. Every couple of weeks I put it all away, make bits out of the scrap and give myself more than 0.00004 square inches in and I feel very smug for about five minutes until it's all covered in stuff again.

Excel.

My OH and I set up a system that when you tell it the parts of the item you're making it deducts it from the total and tells you when you need to order more, it also works out costing etc.

In conjunction with Access you can pretty much set them up to do anything you like and they're really not hard to use, I taught myself!

I'll admit to being a bit of a fan of excell. i think I have developed a spreadsheet to cover just about every aspect of my life.

Trouble is, it takes me soooo long to update them all!

And if I forget to update them (like i did with the one that told me how much jewellery stock i had left) they soon get out of date

I now find it easier just to look at my stock levels

Similar set up to George except I have a book keeper
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

my OH has everything on Excel and has it set up to do costings and stuff but its on his laptop, which I never go near because I hate it with a vengeance. So we now have a system whereby I buy the stuff and when it arrives I throw the receipt on my desk somewhere and every couple of weeks I bundle them all together and throw them in his direction. By that time, some have gone awol and others have been drawn on with design ideas.
    Di x

Handwritten. I can't seem to master formulas on excel, they never do what I expect.
    Em

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Sorry Jules, but pmsl at the idea!

My organisation consists of a large drawer for receipts. Er, that's it. Apart from using my paypal history pages a lot.

But I now where absolutely everything is

I do keep my findings pretty well sorted in craftmates caddies, the same goes for gemstones, jumprings and lots of other stuff - but most of it ends up on my workspace anyway. Every couple of weeks I put it all away, make bits out of the scrap and give myself more than 0.00004 square inches in and I feel very smug for about five minutes until it's all covered in stuff again.
    That is deffinatley my idea of organisation x

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback on what you do, and don't do with your bits and pieces.

My OH, who used to be a programmer, suggested we use Excel and I must admit that, although its a pain with things like packets of 1,000 tiny beads, it seems like a good idea, but I know it will be a pain sorting it out! Up till now, I've just filed invoices in date order, (used to be a secretary), but its now got to the stage where I HAVE GOT TO GET ORGANISED. I've given myself a big smack on the butt today, as my room is a terrible mess and I've spent half my time looking for bits of paper, beads, findings etc etc. to finish some jobs I have at the moment.

Thanks guys

Love Jules x

Before I stopped selling my jewellery (after my runaway husband incident, I am planning on starting again!) I used to keep Excel spreadsheets of everything, all my components, materials, cost per unit, plus a spreadsheet of finished jewellery, cost price, sale price etc etc, plus a spreadsheet of sales and purchases for accounting. I am the first to admit however that I am extremely anally retentive!

At the moment I am working on my website and plan on incorporating it into a web based system that will manage all of the above, print receipts and invoices etc etc. I'm hoping I can sell it like a Zen Cart type system but geared up for Self Employed Designer Makers. Goodnes knows how long till I have something working though!