Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anybody help out a newbie with a one off job?

Quote Originally Posted by Killers View Post
    Hey Dan, unfortunitly I'm a little out of the way for you...Aberdeen in Scotland. If you come up, you can visit the home of Desperate Dan on the way though I understand your desire to do it yourself, but unless you know a Jeweller, it may be difficult.
    Wow Killers, you are a very informative person, such a breadth of experience and font of much knowledge. Your workshop sounds so well equipped, I am envious!
    It would be great to see some of your work.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    No, there should be no issues with using the same kiln for gold or silver. MP differs for the two though - about 100C higher for gold.
    Thank you !
    Being a novice i misunderstood what somebody else mentioned. I presume like silver i still have to 'pickle' the resulting cast gold - yes?

I've found a place in the city that rents workbenchs by the day and has a kiln I can use as well so hopefully I've found what I'm looking for!

Thanks guys, it seems I was misled and I haven't found a place with both rentable desks and kiln! Who'd have thought the London School of Jewellery doesn't after all have a kiln that can cast gold!

Also there appears to be a total absence of second hand market for kilns and vacuum equipment so that route is no good. What I have discovered is there are such things as casting houses who can do all the difficult stuff for me.

So fingers crossed I'm going to get my two items made via that route. Hopefully on budget and on time as well.

Perhaps if anybody is interested I'll put up some pics when it's done.
    Thanks though for your input, it's been a steep learning curve and while I would have liked to do the whole thing myself that's not possible. You have helped me get to the right place to achieve this project/goal.

Not sure why no one mentioned that most send their work away to be cast, maybe they thought you'd given up on the project. Good that you're going to get it done though, I'm sure people will be interested to see the end result

Very interested to see the end result and how you have got there.

Probably after the event now (sorry, I think I got distracted by Killers apparent expertise in all things), but for items that I have cast (by a professional casters), I make the model in silver, allowing for shrinkage/ clean-up and have them cast in the desired metal.

Ok job very nearly done, just one job left.......
    First wax carving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150806_151802.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8110

Name:	20150806_151802.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8110

And the result raw casting

Name:	IMG_5120.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	8111

This was then sent to the polisher.... but a few air bubbles were found....

Sorry, the real world intervened...

Name:	20150903_082339.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	8112

However dissapointing I had to decide whether to send it back to recast or just go with it. The main decider was time I only had two weeks left before they had to be finished.
    So when I actually got to see them the pits were very small and one was much better than the other. So I decided that I could complete the better of the two, have it engraved and apply the badge. If necessary I could send it off after the presentation to fix the small pits and re-engrave if necessary. So this is what it looks like before engraving.

Name:	20150903_082638.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	8113

There is a grove along the top of the shield which is painted black. To add a little character to the piece.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by desperate Dan; 08-09-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Bubbles in castings are a pest, but they happen. 2 ways to sort them - a) use solder as filler or b) get them welded (laser or PUK). I'm not a fan of the first one. Minor porosity can be fixed by dialling in the right settings and just melting the surface - don't know if the PUK can do that, but the laser does it well. Larger holes need filler wire too. Happy to help if you want.

Thanks for the offer. I don know if you can see from my pics, but they are very small. I'll have to see what the recipient says. He may even say not to worry! I'll let you know on Monday.

Sorry guys - I thought I had posted another response last week which now seems to be absent!

Anyway the main recipient was at first dumbfounded and then very pleased with his gift. So the surprise element was 100%
    Afterwards I did have a quiet word about the minor flaws and the while I didn't have time before to fix them I could if he wanted do it now. His response was "what flaws and no I'm not letting this out of my hands it's brilliant just the way it's is"

So guys thanks for all your help in making this object. I think it's fair to say the project was successful.