Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shield Pendant

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraBuckle View Post
    ...just noticed the bail in the pic...looks like a bought in one...

I definately think you should make your own. Looks much better on a piece made from scratch.

But then thats just my opinion - feel free to do whatever
    Might make one, but the bought in ones are really tidy, secure and cheaper than I could make one for - I am all for handcrafted work, but if there is an item which is better in terms of security and functionality available as a mass produced item, I will generally buy it in rather than supply a unique but inferior item - I do the same with earrings, the traditional Ball and Spring design is terrific and sold to me at a price I could not possibly match - the time taken to make one would cost more than the bought in one, and not look as good.

I'm open to being convinced on this one, send evidence!!!

Dave

What sort of handmade bail do you reckon would complement the design?

Hahaha, now you are asking!

I'll be honest, I use bought in ones too for the same reasons you stated, but my work is much simpler and I try to sell it as reasonably priced as poss...

I imagined that your piece would be a one off... I don't make many one offs, but if I did I would design the bail too.

Your technical skills far outweigh mine and I'm sure you could design and make a lovely bail to compliment it. From what you have done so far, you clearly have the ability to do it. And I personally feel that the design would benefit from a handmade bail. You have put a lot of consideration into the rest of the piece and I think the bought in bail will stand out a mile, which would be a shame.

It has taken me all day so far to write this as i keep getting interrupted!
    So will post what I've written so far and try and find you a few examples later to show.

And remember a handmade matching bail should factor in the price, you can ask alot more for a piece like that, it screams uniqueness/ artisan.
    Em

I'd go with the matching bail thing! Just cut a small piece of sheet silver (I tend to go for a sort of triangle with the end chopped off and reticulate it to match. Form a piece of wire into an S with one large and one small end and solder it to the back so the larger bit forms the loop for the chain to thread through. Instant bail! Like this (apologies for the dreadful setting, they were very early efforts!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first cabs (Small).jpg  

ooh that is really nice, op! i'm a sucker for handmade things that look a bit machiney

definitely go with a handmade bail if you can, for something that nice using an off-the-peg finding would be spoilin' the ship for a ha'porth of tar, as me granddad used to say.

oh can't wait to see it, love the way you show us all the bits first, makes it so much more interesting xx

Glad to see some more replies as I was too busy yesterday to finish mine...
    And thanks for the examples MzG.

I was thinking about your design as I was going to bed... (I know sad eh? Ha ha, my brain can't resist thinking through these things)

It would look really nice if you made a slightly larger matching bail and set another smaller stone in it. Does kinda double your workload though i guess