Thread: Seal engraving

Default Seal engraving

I've been practicing stamping seal rings into wax with hit and miss results though getting better..
    When I look at jewellers websites, their wax impressions look almost like setters pitch- a bit shinier,
    If anyone has any knowledge of what companies use for wax that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I've been practicing stamping seal rings into wax with hit and miss results though getting better..
    When I look at jewellers websites, their wax impressions look almost like setters pitch- a bit shinier,
    If anyone has any knowledge of what companies use for wax that would be great!
    If you mean that you are trying to press a design from a ring, then perhaps sealing wax would be correct; http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=sealing+wax

Hi, yeah I ordered some watersons sealing wax- bank of england wax.
    I have tried it and it works ok but i came across a 'wax' impression of a seal and it seemed like it was more plasticky ..
    I'll keep researching and post hopefully , thanks

Thanks for the link

Leo, I asked one of my friends who engraves seal rings about waxes he uses, he prefers a white sealing wax when he is having photos taken. When he has used a red wax, the photographer rubbed a thin skin of oil over the wax before taking the photo and the seal had a shine after that.

Ah, ah right, that makes sense, that's brilliant. Thank you for this..
    I'm also wondering how the charcoaly effect is achieved on the finished wax,
    I tried holding seal ring over a candle to blacken with carbon which worked a bit but need more practice..
    Thanks for this advice!