Thread: "dipped" bezel?

Default "dipped" bezel?

I have come across quite a few organic "liquid" or "gold-dipped" bezels perfectly-formed around irregular shaped or unfinished druzy quartz. some of them are very inexpensive and seem mass produced and some are very expensive and are called "hand-dipped" in sellers descriptions. There is also another form of bezel that looks like it's melting up and over the stone, holding it in place. My question is simply, what are these processes actually called? I'd love to research about them or know what to look for in a class...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2015-07-01 at 7.00.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	7874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2015-07-01 at 7.10.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	7875 two different examples.

Thanks!
    -Adam

I've not seen this before and I guess others on this forum will know better, but I would guess that's done by electroforming, quite a simple process similar to electroplating - you can find lots of info about it online...

Yes that's what it is.
    The question remains how the jump ring and ring shank are attached. Possibly with glue prior to the forming process? Dennis.

That would have been good for a job that i am doing, a customer wants a piece of sea glass mounted in a ring. Made the bezel now but hope it stays together when soldered onto the ring shank but it was a bit daunting when she gave me a minute piece of royal blue glass in a funny shape. She said she had put tin foil around it to see if it would bend around the glass. Silver is a bit harder than tin foil doh!!!!!

Kundan setting might have worked for that, Pat - relatively costly though.