Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition July 2015 – Out & About

Very clever Ajda and, James, gorgeous as ever!

I agree that it would be good to announce the theme a month in advance. I work full time as well as trying to run my jewellery business so hardly ever get time to make anything fun! By the time I get a design together in my head, the month is usually over.

Lovely work!! Very innovative and like the back story Alan. Beautiful in every way (as always) James.

There is often an end of month rush of entries, let's hope that lots of folk are beavering away!!

I think that it would be helpful to have the themes announced at least a month in advance,....or a 12 month list like we used to have!!

I love the flower. It could be a screw in earring for those that stretch them.
    That bee and clover is also stunning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Harrison View Post
    That bee and clover is also stunning.

Yes, what a fab idea! I have stretched ears (20mm) and would definitely wear them - absolutely stunning work.

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Yes, what a fab idea! I have stretched ears (20mm) and would definitely wear them - absolutely stunning work.
    I'm quite keen to have a go at more flowers along the lines of this one, so great to have your encouragement. But maybe you can help me out a bit - I can't picture how a screw-in earring of the kind you're referring to would look like or work...
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I'm quite keen to have a go at more flowers along the lines of this one, so great to have your encouragement. But maybe you can help me out a bit - I can't picture how a screw-in earring of the kind you're referring to would look like or work...
    Alan
    Well, I don't know if I'm imagining the same thing that Kathryn was, but here's what I thought.

The jewellery I wear in my ears is described as organic, in that it's made from wood, bone, tusk, horn, stone etc. as stretched piercings don't always take too well to metal, precious or otherwise. This is partly a weight issue (although some will actively seek that to help the stretching process) and partly because colder weather can make metal uncomfortable and in extreme cases, cause frostbite!

I was imagining that I could have a pair of plugs carved from rosewood for example, with a female threaded tube set in the middle that could accept components such as your beautiful flower, with a male threaded post.

Most of my plugs/tunnels have come from One Tribe Organics and Southshore Adornments - both companies have very skilled lapidarists/metalsmiths turning out some excellent work (and I'd definitely recommend a quick look at their websites or Instagram pages) but as far as I know, nothing like I've described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Lovely work!! Very innovative and like the back story Alan. Beautiful in every way (as always) James.

There is often an end of month rush of entries, let's hope that lots of folk are beavering away!!

I think that it would be helpful to have the themes announced at least a month in advance,....or a 12 month list like we used to have!!
    I'd go with the 12 month list then we could choose what inspires us and take time over it

I love the themes but mostly I make abstract things.

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Well, I don't know if I'm imagining the same thing that Kathryn was, but here's what I thought.

The jewellery I wear in my ears is described as organic, in that it's made from wood, bone, tusk, horn, stone etc. as stretched piercings don't always take too well to metal, precious or otherwise. This is partly a weight issue (although some will actively seek that to help the stretching process) and partly because colder weather can make metal uncomfortable and in extreme cases, cause frostbite!

I was imagining that I could have a pair of plugs carved from rosewood for example, with a female threaded tube set in the middle that could accept components such as your beautiful flower, with a male threaded post.

Most of my plugs/tunnels have come from One Tribe Organics and Southshore Adornments - both companies have very skilled lapidarists/metalsmiths turning out some excellent work (and I'd definitely recommend a quick look at their websites or Instagram pages) but as far as I know, nothing like I've described above.
    I've made metal plugs for my sister and she has coated them in nail varnish for the reason you describe. I've long wanted to do something with wood but there aren't enough hours in the day.

I've made metal plugs for my sister and she has coated them in nail varnish for the reason you describe. I've long wanted to do something with wood but there aren't enough hours in the day.

Why have I never thought of that? So simple!

I think a lot of the wood plugs are turned on a lathe so if you had the inclination, could be turned out fairly quickly.