Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi all,

I've been lurking and learning for a couple of months now, so I thought it was about time I said hello!

I've just finished a 5 month silversmithing/metal jewellery course at Sheffield College (pretty much next door to the assay office) and loved it so much, I've just re-enrolled for September.

I've managed to turn out a few basic but wearable pieces in that time, and our tutor is now encouraging us to consider selling odd pieces to fund future experiments. Lots to think about there and I don't think I'm quite ready, but have been building up a decent array of my own tools and equipment to get plenty of practice in.

I'm planning on applying for my sponsor's mark shortly with a view to getting my personal pieces hallmarked, purely for vanity reasons at this stage, but maybe with a view to selling later down the line.

So, that's me! I've loved reading all your posts and have picked up lots of hints and tips already - thanks for sharing!

Hello Jayne and welcome

Do show us what you've been making - we love seeing pretty pictures!

H Jayne
    Welcome from me too. There's nothing like the first time you strike your own mark on a piece you've made. Looking forward to seeing what you have been making

Hi both, what a lovely welcome!

I've been meaning to get out my dSLR for a while now to photograph my stuff properly but for now, I just have a few phone snaps of a couple of rings and a pair of studs that I cast from the top part of some Iced Gems. These haveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436306315150.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	7891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436306332233.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	7892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436306352158.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	7893 since been polished up properly and had a light liver of sulphur patina applied.

Was the faceted ring made from clay or bashed within an inch of its life, cos i love it. The ring on the left is just up my street too, made a similar one myself dont know if I can recall the picture (I am having trouble getting them to materialize) not finished but work in progress
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140325_164104_Android.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	7894

Hi Patstone - that ring is beautiful, very unusual!

The ring above was cast using the lost wax method. I carved my ring out first, slicing little facets off with a warmed scalpel and made the shank smooth and rounded for comfort. I polished some angles up to a mirror finish and left others not so shiny for a bit of texture and interest. After wearing for a few days I also went back and softened some of the edges slightly (as you can see in the photo) because I was fed up up catching it on clothes!

What I meant to say was that the ring wasnt finished in the picture but was sold about a week after finishing it. My daughter makes silver stuff too but a bit more traditional than mine, we do two regular craft fairs locally and believe it or not both of us do crochet and spinning, which we both took up xmas last year. Still love making the silver jewellery, its my first love.

Welcome Jayne

I've been making iced gems recently too!

Hi Jayne!
    Looking forward to hearing about your course and seeing more of your work, I am getting my hallmark as a bday present, pretty exciting!!
    Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Welcome Jayne

I've been making iced gems recently too!
    Ha ha! Really? Everyone in my class thought I was completely mad! I've got to say, it was definitely a challenge that I won't be repeating!