Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold spiral earings advice sought

Default Gold spiral earings advice sought

Hey all! Apologies for lack of presence, been juggling curveballs as usual!

Anyway, I have been asked to make a pair of gold spiral earings I am stumped on a couple of questions...

Firstly they are to be made in the style below (copper mock up purely to gauge material quantity). I am wondering what gauge sheet I can go down to and still have some rigidity. They will either be 9 or 18ct depending on customer's budget. I am hoping the forming round a stake with rawhide will work harden to a great degree.

The second is regarding the practicalities of hallmarking (mine coming soon!). I would like to have completed then sent off but wonder if this will be practical from a hallmarking perspective. Would they have to be hallmarked flat then formed after (and risk deforming hallmark). There will be some brushing/texture to one surface though haven't decided whether inside or out. I guess the hallmark process may be a decider in this. I am going for a contrast between brushed and polished, possibly even both on outer and polished inner. The jury's still out on that one

Apologies for what might be a basic question, I'm stumped

Cheers all

Vos

(And it's good to be back!!! )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150625_0450.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	7849
    All the gear and no idea

hallmarking shouldn't be an issue...I would make them all up first and then have them laser marked, which won't deform the metal, and which can be done really small if needed. Would be nice if you're planning to texture the surface if you can leave a plain area for the hallmark to go on. The mark always looks much better applied on flat surfaces rather than textured. Or of course you could have them simply hallmarked on the posts? (I'm assuming they're supported on standard post and scroll fittings?)

Perfect Steve! Thank you! They will be free swinging on hook fittings. Would laser marking allow the inside (polished) surface to be done after forming, or am I looking at the outside regardless?

Thanks for your time
    All the gear and no idea

I reckon we could mark inside or outside if you wanted the mark on the body

Vos, if I was making these, I would cut my strips to size from 0.5mm. or thinner. File the edges, polish both sides of each strip while holding them against the mop with a piece of wood to keep them flat and straight, then wrap them round a polished steel rod. If I want a texture I would use a small polished domed hammer or my hammer head attachment on my flex shaft drill. The cleaner the strips before you bend them the less finish polishing will be required in the end.

James

Gentlemen, thank you as ever. I'm was leaning towards frosting the inside and high polish outer for alternating contrast, but now aware that will affect hallmarking. Nothing set in stone yet just trying to work out price for customer before going ahead. Have lot's of ideas to play with, just working out feasibility.

One question James if I may... Would .5 suffice for both 9 and 18? I don't want them too heavy, I have a suspicion the request will be in 18ct.

Many thanks
    All the gear and no idea

I might be tempted to go thinner than 0.5mm. if using 18ct. and cut down the weight and cost. Practice with some thin silver, talking to my daughter she tells me that she hates heavy ear rings. I told her about your possible spiral ones and she told me that I should make her some also. I just checked and two lengths 5mm. wide by 75mm. long of 0.3mm. thick 18ct yellow would cost circa £82.

James

Thank you! Perfect!

Hope I haven't made you more work
    All the gear and no idea

And Steve I will ask if the recipient would like the Hallmark as a visible feature
    All the gear and no idea

@SteveLAO Rough copy in 0.3 silver and customer would like hallmark where indicated by pen nib. Just checking this is practicable within curve.

Apologies for needing nursing. Having never yet had a hallmark done trust me to go for a tricky one as first exercise (it's all about the challenges you know ).

Many thanks

Vos

PS What is the current (rough) waiting time for new hallmark applications?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150704_54761.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	7882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150704_44258.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	7883
    Last edited by Vos; 04-07-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: adding picture helps apparently!
    All the gear and no idea