Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand engraving clamps , vices , blocks or any related wanted please :)

Default Hand engraving clamps , vices , blocks or any related wanted please :)

I'm looking for an engraving block - the ball shaped vices you get, or any types if clamps

It's fairly rare to see them come up for sale in the UK s/h; you'll see more in the US (although shipping will be fun). Rare is not never, however; my largest block I managed to buy from a UK seller on EBay.

There are alternatives - a traditional method is to engrave with the object on a sandbag; flat items can be taped to a piece of wood. If you're lucky, Jim will post a picture of the wooden clamp he made - again, that usually sits on a sandbag and can be turned easily for cuts.

Hi leo, this is one of my home made wooden engraving clamps that Peter mentioned. My grandfather was a hand engraver way back before any ready made engraving vices were available and he used these types of clamps to hold pieces he engraved. Back in those days he used to buy wooden toy building blocks from Hamleys to make his various shaped clamps.
    This is the one that I made when I was an apprentice. It's made of hardwood with strips of leather lining the claps and the screws are Sash window bolts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185a Wooden engravers block sheet.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	7827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	189a Brass sash screw used in clamp.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	7828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	189 Brass sash screw used in clamp.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	7829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	187 Wooden clamp.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	7830

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 22-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.

There's a thing of beauty - thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It's fairly rare to see them come up for sale in the UK s/h; you'll see more in the US (although shipping will be fun). Rare is not never, however; my largest block I managed to buy from a UK seller on EBay.

There are alternatives - a traditional method is to engrave with the object on a sandbag; flat items can be taped to a piece of wood. If you're lucky, Jim will post a picture of the wooden clamp he made - again, that usually sits on a sandbag and can be turned easily for cuts.
    Hi, thanks, yeah I've discovered that too, just hoping someone in uk has an old one wants to sell,
    I've made some useful clamps but see so many images of the blocks, I feel I should get one.
    I heard pepe blocks are a good quality cheaper alternative to grs.
    Might end up buying cheap from china,
    If threads unsuccessful .
    Someone must have one they don't want

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Someone must have one they don't want
    Cold, dead hands I'm afraid

If you are not successful, you could also hold your work down on a square of MDF using Coolmorph. Not traditional, but saves £££. Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...FcPe7Ab5maLYCg

That fills me with gladness that you don't have to spend big on tools though the companies want you too, sash window bolts-great tip, I searched b&q for similar but no joy I didn't know what to call them(butterfly nuts).. Will look for some I think, love the authentic look of those vices, bet they work really well too,
    Thanks for images !

Hi Leo, I have one that I made similar to Goldsmiths but its not very big. I made it to hold rings but then I got a GRS system which has a ring vice. If you pay the postage you are welcome to it. I have taken a few photo's, if they will download to the computer. Sorry for some reason they wont download but the gap in the middle is about a cm. I will see if hubby can download them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    That fills me with gladness that you don't have to spend big on tools though the companies want you too, sash window bolts-great tip, I searched b&q for similar but no joy I didn't know what to call them(butterfly nuts).. Will look for some I think, love the authentic look of those vices, bet they work really well too,
    Thanks for images !
    The company Jim listed in the images seems to have the best price - https://www.reddiseals.com/product/original-sash-screw/