Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver tarnish and your ways of removing it

I'm a friend of the Hagerty silver dip polish liquid. Recently I bought 3 bottles each approx. E 15 - it works really great and normally I use it for 1 or 2 years until it has to get replaces for new liquid. If you clean big parts use an old bowl and fill as much liquid as you need. But take care I always dip less than 30 seconds.

So I have tried cleaning in the baking soda solution. Below are the photos taken before, during and after the cleaning process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 0085.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	7841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 0095.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	7842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 0105.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	7843

As you can see, it hasn't removed the tarnish completely. I added one and half teaspoon of baking soda, then very hot water. I even added in a drop of dish washing liquid plus a teaspoon of salt and let it sit for 10 minutes.

I'm gonna give it a second try...

It needs to be bicarb, not baking soda (which has other ingredients) and I'd have probably used rather more than that.

They usually need a quick rub over with a silver cloth afterwards to make them really shiny.

Default Less Is More.

Dear Jerwei.

I'm sorry that you are having this trouble, but it points to the possibility that your tarnish has an unusual origin. I would recommend that in future you keep your stock in a closed drawer, box, or bag, with an anti tarnish tab or strip. They are available on line, but you might consider Town Talk Brand, as they are printed with an explanation, for the benefit of customers.

Back to the present: I have rarely had a problem with tarnish removal solutions such as Goddards silver dip, unless the solutiom was partly used up.

However if you are using the electrolytic method with aluminium and baking soda (or soda crystals which are cheaper), the cycle seems to go into reverse after about six minutes, so it is counter productive to go on for longer. Less is more.

For the moment, as you know, you might have to heat very gently and then pickle. regards, Dennis.

That's odd. I'm sure it's just light yellowish tarnish on them. I would heat and pickle but every item is price-tagged and to remove and put them back in order is time consuming. Not to mention that I can't tumble all of them at once in a tumbling machine without having them all entangled.

Back to my experiment. This is my fourth attempt. Used 4 tbsp Bicarbonate of Soda.

Name:	Picture123.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	7844
    It's gotten better but not good enough. This is some persistent tarnish!

By the way, isn't baking soda bicarbonate of soda? I read that Baking powder is the one with extra ingredients mixed in. This is the one I'm using.

Name:	Picture 0085.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	7845

So, I gave into heating, pickling and tumbling.

This is the result.

Name:	Picture135.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	7846

Not 100% tarnish free but this method has proved best for removing tarnish so far.

Have a look on Pinterest there are a number of methods on there including the use of white vinegar alongside bicarbonate.

If tumbling is an option, just do the bicarb thing (though using rather more than you did first time round) and then tumble. You should be able to get away without having to heat and pickle.

Adding baking powder can cause damages, isn't it? I have heard especially the old silver should get cleaned that way? Is that right?

hi, I make work with a lot of very fine texture, so items that are out and about for a while can get heavily tarnished, and can't be rubbed clean with a cloth; so I use bicarb and foil too. I use a small stainless steel pan, with about an inch of water in. i bring the heat up and add a small (about 4"sqare) bit of foil and add a teaspoon of kitchen bicarbonate of soda. As it comes to the boil it will suddenly really fizz, i drop the work in for about 3 seconds and then hook out with a stainless steel fork, and wash well. It is fab and fast and very very shiny!