Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a recess in sheet silver

Default Cutting a recess in sheet silver

I've been toying with a design where I want a recess in the silver and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. It doesn't need to be deep (.2-.4mm maybe) but over a largish area 5x20mm. I was wondering if the easiest/best way would be with chisels or using a dremel to cut it away?

I have etched something similar in the past, but probably not that deep, would that work?

The simplest way undoubtedly is to sweat a second sheet over the top, with the hole already cut with a saw. When sweat soldering a tiny bevel at the lower edge helps to hold the solder from escaping.

Another way is to use a flat scorper inside a scribed area, but the floor will be textured
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pb1 Squares Project.jpg  

I would suggest that you learn how to cut with scorpers, like enamellers do when cutting recesses for enamel work. Take a look at this short video showing Jane Short making an enamel brooch, it does show Jane using scorpers when cutting recesses for enamels;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV0fej_sU10

James

Thanks everyone! I don't have etching capabilites at the moment but it is tempting!

I'm torn between the flat scorper method and sweat soldering both would work in terms of finish I've tried soldering two flat largish surfaces together so each is a learning curve

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

salt water (electro /green etching) is relatively easy to set up. Works with both silver and copper really well.

http://www.inbarbareket.info/blog/20...ectro-etching/

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    salt water (electro /green etching) is relatively easy to set up. Works with both silver and copper really well.

http://www.inbarbareket.info/blog/20...ectro-etching/
    Wow I had no idea that worked on silver as well as copper! Ooo that's tempting indeed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi Kathryn, if you have a rolling mill you can run the sheet through it with a piece of paper the size of the depression you want placed on top. The paper will form a depression in the silver. I made a belt buckle using this technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2257.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	7799

Didi

Sweat soldering would be the easiest and fastest esp since its a simple rectangular recess.

But from me another vote for etching.
    From my experience Saltwater as electrolyte does NOT work. From a chemical point of view that makes sense because salt (NaCL) has Chlorides and produces a crust of insoluble Silverchloride on the piece that prevents further etching. Same reason Ferric chloride does not work on silver . After a minimal etch Silverchloride is formed and etching stops. You need to form a soluble silver salt.

I have tried many things and would recommend either ferric nitrate or electro-etching with diluted 3% Nitric or 10% Silvernitrate solution for etching Fine silver or sterling.
    0,4mm is quite doable. especially if there are no intricate details. Electroetching with 3%Nitric or AgNO3 has the advantage that the electrolyte can be reused many times because it does not saturate. Dissolved Silver is constantly deposited as 999 Fine silver at the Cathode and can be easily reclaimed, just filter it out, wash, collect some, and remelt.
    You only need low voltage so it could be done with a battery(takes a bit longer than a Power supply because less amps). But fine detail is also quite possible.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silber1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	7805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silber10.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	7806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finish1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	7807

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph G View Post
    But from me another vote for etching.
    From my experience Saltwater as electrolyte does NOT work. From a chemical point of view that makes sense because salt (NaCL) has Chlorides and produces a crust of insoluble Silverchloride on the piece that prevents further etching. Same reason Ferric chloride does not work on silver . After a minimal etch Silverchloride is formed and etching stops. You need to form a soluble silver salt.
    I would agree - and yet there are still many people who would advocate saltwater etching regardless of the chloride solubility issue.
    A reminder that nitric acid now needs a licence for private individuals to purchase - and later on to possess (stupid system...).