Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re soldering on Cookson's finished chain

Default Re soldering on Cookson's finished chain

I've just bought one of the following:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Finished-...code-VM12-007F

I've noticed that the jump ring that is threaded through the loop in the end of the lobster claw is not soldered shut, though judging by a tiny blob of solder (or blob of something) sitting uselessly on one side of the join, it looks like the jump ring really ought to be soldered shut (similar chains I have in silver from Cooksons all have their jump rings soldered shut).

Since I don't presently have any 18ct white solder, rectifying the soldering job myself is not really something I want to have to do. Is it reasonable of me to expect the jump ring to be soldered shut already and to ask for a replacement chain where the soldering is properly done?

Many thanks.

Mark.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a replacement. I'm sure it's just one that's slipped through the QC net.

I'm sure MizGeorge is right. I was very impressed recently at how quickly and efficiently Cooksons responded to replace a tool that arrived from them slightly damaged - inevitable that the odd thing goes wrong, but great when it's put right without fuss and delay.

Those joints are usually welded. There is every chance that attempting to solder it, even with precautions will anneal the spring of the claw. Dennis.

I'll second that. I've had a few mistakes recently but once your emails get past their spam filters they have been really good at sorting the problems.

Hi, a replacement chain is on its way. Please send the faulty one back using our returns label http://www.cooksongold.com/downloads...rm-special.pdf.
    I'm sorry you've had this problem
    rgds
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    Hi, a replacement chain is on its way. Please send the faulty one back using our returns label http://www.cooksongold.com/downloads...rm-special.pdf.
    I'm sorry you've had this problem
    rgds
    Rob
    Many thanks to everyone for your helpful replies, and many thanks, Rob, for looking into this for me.

Please could you just clarify the position, Rob, because I've had an email from Lee, who says:
    "I can confirm after checking our stock that this chain does not come with a soldered jump ring. You are welcome to return the chain for a refund if it is not required."

I definitely want this chain, but would just like to know the true position regarding the jump ring. Is it meant to be soldered/welded shut or not? And if it's not, how normal a situation is this with finished chain? I suppose I'm addressing this question to everyone now.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 12-06-2015 at 02:48 PM.

It's been talked about quite a lot in the past Mark and many of us don't solder the jump ring on a chain so if it's caught it should break at the catch. I usually put a heavier gauge jump ring that really has to be firmly put together with pliers and don't solder

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    It's been talked about quite a lot in the past Mark and many of us don't solder the jump ring on a chain so if it's caught it should break at the catch. I usually put a heavier gauge jump ring that really has to be firmly put together with pliers and don't solder
    Thanks, Caroline. I was vaguely aware of those threads and can understand the reasoning behind having an unsoldered jump ring in a chain. My question was really whether there's any infallible way of knowing, when we look at a jump ring on a commercially made chain, whether the join is meant to be soldered shut or not? On the present chain it's very difficult to tell. I've examined quite a few chains over the last couple of days and although probably the majority have an unsoldered jump ring, some do have it soldered shut. What decides whether the jump ring is soldered shut or unsoldered? From what I can see, the weight of the jump ring doesn't seem to be a critical factor.

It seems that there are now several separate questions Mark:

1. Is your chain defective and due for a replacement? Cooksons can answer that.

2. If not, would you use it as it is, or would you be pro-active and routinely substitute your own unsoldered jump ring as a safety device?

3. The second option is adopted by some members here, but despite my once suggesting a ball park figure (say 3Kg, or three bags of flour in a carrier bag), I am not aware of anyone actually measuring the breaking point they have adopted. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-06-2015 at 03:12 PM.