Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver cross.. help

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    I posted about the dandruff stuff on another thread its selsun one of my colleagues found out it worked when she washed her hair with it and her necklace went black lol we used it because at that time liver of sulphur was hard to come by and expensive if i rememeber rightly
    I should start hiring my OH out - he turns silver black within minutes.
    Di x

if you mask off the rest of the silver (with a masking fluid or nail polish, just make sure it's something that can be peeled rather that scrubbed off later) you can do the hard boiled egg thing with no trouble. If any unwanted bits do oxidise a little, it's easy enough to polish them back, or remove carefully with silver dip.

I forgot to mention, I wondered why anyone was asking about prams here when I first saw the tread title. I must be showing my age!

ha ha your as bad as me George x

Thanks, this is making sense, I have heard you can tumble without removing the oxidation, so that would presumably remove any stubourn flakes of nail polish for example, I'm quite happy with the exposed bits of wire loosing some of the oxidation anyways but I just wanted to solder it to make it a little more er.. sturdy.
    IS this making sense or do I sound insane?
    I had thought about using bleach, would that work or is it too different-a-reaction?
    Thanks
    Ceri
    (PS, no your not the only one)
    (PPS Thanks Nic, I wasn't trying to ignore your answer, just got lost with everything else)

Default the result

Sorry again, useless phone cam pics but here it is
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...9-05111145.jpg
    Really hope that works
    Anyways, it worked out different to how I thought, I ended up hammering it, then using the opposite side as it had developed a nice texture...
    I should really have used the 0.6mm wire and actually wrapped it but I used the 1mm and cut it into bits to try and achieve the same effect and soldered it.
    I sanded it, then used the egg method (without masking it) and then wirewooled it to take off the tarnish on the exposed bits, it hasn't worked fantasticly well but it's all about experimentation.
    Comments?
    Thanks
    Ceri
    Last edited by cezerpringle; 06-09-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: inserting link rather than huuuuuuuggggeee pic

Oops, thought I was putting in a link! Sorry for the huge pic! Oh and lack of spelling
    Ceri

Ceri, can you remove big pic and change for thumbnail - I'm off out and don't have time to do it!

To include thumbnail you need to save the big pic to your pc (rather than llinking straight to photobucket) then use the little paper clip icon on the top row of the tool bar.

xxx
    Di x

Default No probs

Done, sorry about that, I had always meant for it to be a link anyways

I think as a piece of rustic jewellery that works very well. I'd be inclined to file and buff the edges (or burnish them) so that you get some shiny silver showing through just to give a contrast.