Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking questions

We only use sterling silver unless specifically asked for gold. However we do use copper to embellish sometimes, I.e a copper wire around a ring. I think it will discourage people from making things over the 7.78 grms limit. I make only for a hobby but do sell at craft fairs and display your declaration sheet. Getting back to the copper bangle thing again, so that I understand fully, if I made a copper bangle with a sterling silver ball on it if the whole bangle weighed over 7.78 grms it would have to be hallmarked. Presumably if it was all copper it wouldn't.

Your copper and silver bangle - if it weighs in total over 7.78g - would need to be hallmarked yes. If it's all copper then obviously no! And thank you for displaying the dealer's notice, as indeed you should be

In a similar vein, I added a silver foot to one of my mokume bowls; it is described as being made from the mix in the mokume "and white metal". In this particular case, the precious metal aspect of the foot is irrelevant, it's the mokume gane is the primary point. If it was 18k I might feel differently about it (or possibly need to be sectioned).

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Well Steve all I can say on this matter is that it will kill the jewellery trade if I understand it correctly.
    You can make for instance a copper bangle which weighs 100 grams, then add a silver ball say -- 1 gram and it has to be hallmarked, so the postal charges alone will be about £12, and the hallmarking on top of that, who would buy a copper bangle for around £30. I know I certainly wouldnt. So presumably if you made a silver earring with a copper flower that would also have to be hallmarked even if it was under the 7.78grams as its mixed metals.
    My understanding of hallmarking was that it was semi precious metals, i.e sterling silver, fine silver and gold, etc that needed to be sent for hallmarking.
    People would and do pay £30 and more for copper or brass jewellery though. You're selling the design (and in the cases of makers,the workmanship too) not just the metal

I live in Devon and down here people wouldnt pay £30 for a silver one let alone a copper one. Most of our rings are set with a semi precious stone are for sale for around £35 - £50 at top and people pick up, say how beautiful and then put them down again. We have been asked if we will put some "silver wire" rings in a shop on the Quay in Exeter for a cheap gift at £10 - £15, I am reluctant as in my opinion it would be demeaning the type of designer type things we make. Most of our things are "one-offs" and no two designs are exactly the same, so very individual. At the moment our website is having an overhaul but have a look and tell me your opinions, bearing in mind that peoples wages down here are a lot lower than in say London. Average wage here is about £18,000 ish a year for an office worker type job.
    www.iscasilver.co.uk Your opinion would be appreciated.

It's also a matter of the market as a whole. Tenner a pop silver rings with a gem of some sort are probably available from China and it may be you can produce something (you've said you are a hobby maker and not a commercial operation) at that level but it will also have the effect of ruining the market for those makers in the area who do make for a living.
    (And. being honest, are you really a hobby maker if you go to fairs etc, have a website and are even considering selling wholesale to a shop? HMRC would probably class you as doing commercial work)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I live in Devon and down here people wouldnt pay £30 for a silver one let alone a copper one. Most of our rings are set with a semi precious stone are for sale for around £35 - £50 at top and people pick up, say how beautiful and then put them down again. We have been asked if we will put some "silver wire" rings in a shop on the Quay in Exeter for a cheap gift at £10 - £15, I am reluctant as in my opinion it would be demeaning the type of designer type things we make. Most of our things are "one-offs" and no two designs are exactly the same, so very individual. At the moment our website is having an overhaul but have a look and tell me your opinions, bearing in mind that peoples wages down here are a lot lower than in say London. Average wage here is about £18,000 ish a year for an office worker type job. Your opinion would be appreciated.
    I'm in Devon too

I only sell online and through friends/word of mouth at the moment, with shops stocking in the next few months, so I have no idea about craft markets to be fair. I know they are so awash with mass produced tat and cheap beaded jewellery, these days, that it can prove pointless or of little worth though.

I only use silver and gold myself, but I've seen people pay high amounts for copper,brass etc. Not necessarily in markets though and I guess that may be the thing. The markets,the surrounding mass production and associated things. Although,strangely, I've seen some daftly priced costume jewellery in clothing stores fly! It's a combination of things really.

But there are people let to pay down here it's just a case of targeting the market, marketing yourself and everything else considered I guess. But as a hobbyist you probably aren't too bothered about things like that so it becomes hobbyists vs those who use their business to provide a living.

There are loads of galleries and shops in Devon that are open to local jewellery makers though,if you ever wanted to consider it.

Well I have made some enquiries but only half heartedly, the reason I have to sell some is that I cant wear it all. I do get commissions and my daughter would love to make enough to sell to retire from her job and do jewellery full time. We should all meet up sometime for a coffee.

That could be good

I think Pearlescent is right with regard to HMRC though, especially with taking commissions,having a website,potentially working with a shop combined with the fairs,you are essentially working commercially and should be registered as such. As soon as you start producing things in expectation of payment you are essentially self employed

Easy to register and the self employed return is very easy to complete- if your income is below so many £k you only have to say what your income is and expenditure and what the profit/loss is. takes only minutes to add up all the receipts and do the sums. It may pay you as you can deduct all your expenditure from your income, as well as sleep more securely at night. HMRC do go round fairs and markets checking too.
    It's only when you attain the heights of ltd and VAT it all gets complicated
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk