Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering question

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs , but, remember the rouge or tippex or whatever you choose may only deter the solder from running.
    It will not stop it melting to any great degree, if gravity comes into play you could still find bits dropping off or moving :-)

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs , but, remember the rouge or tippex or whatever you choose may only deter the solder from running.
    It will not stop it melting to any great degree, if gravity comes into play you could still find bits dropping off or moving :-)
    No that is useful! I'm really a beginner still I need so much more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    Hi Kathryn, Multiple soldering is always a bit tricky. Ive done a couple of wire cuffs with about 30-40 joins and used hard throughout. The spots where I had trouble were always spots I hadn't cleaned properly. Towards the end of one I used extra easy on the last few joints and it seemed to hold up ok with a couple of solderings. I think it worked best whenI was really careful bout where I targeted the flame.
    Check out the Tallulah cuff on my blog.
    Hope this is helpful and good luck.
    Didi
    I just wanted to say that Tallulah cuff is brilliant. I do feel a little silly not managing my 7-8 joins now. I've done similar things before with more joins so I'm not sure why I'm failing on this one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I was told that heating Tippex with a torch gives off toxic fumes.
    I would like to add that, although many seem to use tippex without problems (maybe those with decent extraction systems), I tried this method and felt dizzy and nauseous afterwards. I will certainly not use tippex again, and will stick to rouge paste.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Decent ventilation when soldering should be standard, for best practice.

I use both rouge and tippex. Have the extraction on regardless of method used.

Hi Kathryn,
    I think soldering is a bit of a dark art. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You probably know the rules as well as I do. My most oft' visited mistake is being too hasty and not cleaning everything properly.
    Would love to see what you're making.
    Didi

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    Hi Kathryn,
    I think soldering is a bit of a dark art. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You probably know the rules as well as I do. My most oft' visited mistake is being too hasty and not cleaning everything properly.
    Would love to see what you're making.
    Didi
    I'd love to go back to it not working right at the moment I didn't think I'd miss that but I think I'm having an over-agressive patch silly as is it is quicker to clean up and try again than to start over! Oddly I did just post something in show and tell. Thanks for the reassurance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk