Thread: Can anyone help?

Question Can anyone help?

Hi, I'm new here and I was hoping someone could help me. I want to devise a snap closure or a toggle closure or any sort of closure to join two pieces of flat silver together. I want to do it the simplest way possible but I am finding it hard to find information. I want a box closure but without all the technical stuff involved in one as I'm a novice so just want something simple that will work... any help appreciated!!! Thank you, Janie x

Hi Janie,
    I'm sure someone will be along soon who can be a lot more help than me, but maybe some sort of loop and hook would be the simplest way to do it. Do the two sheets need to be butting up flush to each other? if so, I cant help I'm afraid, but i'd be really interested in the replies as I too could do with something simple that does the job.
    Sue

Hi Sue, thanks for your reply... The sheets will be fairly close but not quite butting up to one another. It's more just something to keep the two pieces together securely but need to be attractive too. I had a go at making a closure before by making a ball of silver for one side and a piece of wire on the other side to try to hook them together but I probably didn't shape the hook part properly as the hook part didn't sit correctly over the ball if you can try and picture that. It's quite frustrating. I don't have the skills at the moment to do a proper box closure so I'm looking for a simple alternative that works and looks aesthetically pleasing.
    Janie

Maybe just adding a small amount of chain to either side would be the easiest thing to do, either adding a ready made fasten to it or making one from a circle and hook or circle and bar - it's hard to understand what the item is like, are you able to post a pic?

Hi Sue, unfortunately, no I don't have a picture yet as I am just starting it and in my mind I'm trying to work out before I start how I'm going to tackle the closure! but it's basically a box fastening so I want a snap closure or something similar. Chain may work though !

Have a look at figure of eight catches. Two of them might do it. They are easy to make yourself, or you can buy them in.
    The tube is soldered to one side and the wire snaps over a separate second ball (not shown) on the other side. Dennis.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...prcode-NBA-010