Thread: Forming a moebius strip?

Default Forming a moebius strip?

Does anyone have any suggestions on forming a moebius strip? I am making a bangle from rectangular wire and was wondering after I've soldered it, how to round it without messing up the twist too much.

WoW!! Sorry Liz, I am of absolutely no use on this, but very interested to hear the suggestions.......

I think the first thing I possibly could have done better was to have a longer gentler twist. The twist I put in is a bit short.

Next time. . .

This would definitely be one to try with copper first. My immediate reaction would be to shape it on a a mandrel using mainly fingers, soft pliers and soft mallets.

Hardware shops have polythene tubing of various sizes, which can be fitted over the beaks of pliers. I would expect a pile of scrap before succeeding. Dennis.

Have you got a wooden mandrel? Mine is pretty soft and might be good for this kind o' thing?

Hi Liz - I know I've done one with just one twist, but can't find it at the moment - here's one I did as a test with multiple twists in copper and I rounded it afterwards carefully using a combination of baseball bat wooden mandrel for the longer sides and an anticlastic stake on the twists - this particular one turned out a bit square for my liking but the silver one, which had only one twist only was much more graceful; it was also much wider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copper bangle 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	7769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copper bangle 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	7770

I have a pair of cheap bracelet forming pliers (I think they're beadsmith) that I sometimes use for a particular style of bangle, and they work brilliantly for this sort of thing. I've done a couple and I used these for the straight part, and just did the rest with my fingers. I do have pretty strong fingers though!

http://www.cooksongold.com/Stringing...rcode-999-CB8J

well impatient as ever I ploughed ahead. I formed it on the metal mandrel I had using my new (to me) rawhide mallet which was a birthday gift (thank you!). It actually shaped really easily, was not nearly so difficult as I expected. Gave it to my sis in law just now (it's a 50th, so extra effort!) and she loved it.

(shoulda got a pic but twas a rush job!)