Thread: websites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default websites

going to build a ecommerce website, anyone recommend shopify or wordpress etc

also after a template anyone know a good one

thanks

there's a few threads on this - it depends on your technical skills and how much you want to be able to tinker with the look of it. Wordpress I think it not ideal, I don't think it's set up primarily for e-commerce, but I may be out of date there. Shopify is pretty straightforward, sites like BigCartel are really user friendly, reasonable and allow as much/little HTML customisation as you fancy. There's always etsy too, if you don't mind having a link-to shop from a different front end.
    I currently use Volusion, I get frustrated by my lack of HTML knowledge to customise templates how I like, but it is user friendly.

thanks for your reply, obv need to get it right first time and there are a few different ways to go will check out some of the others

I'm in the middle of having to replace mine (groan ) as the software I originally used isn't responsive which doesn't impress Google very much.

I'm rebuilding using Dreamweaver, but wish I'd stuck with Shopify now as lots of friends seem to get on really well with it.
    I seem to permanently have my nose stuck in some YouTube video telling me how to code the next bit - not fun!!

I'd definitely aim for something with 24/7 support. There's nothing more frustrating than technical support going home for the day when you're just starting to work.

I believe somewhere in another thread I read Peter mention Drupal, my site is also Drupal based and I find it so user friendly
    Poor old Les

I built mine with Wordpress using WooCommerce and really like it. It was a pretty steep learning curve though. I used a template from Yi Themes that already had ecommerce functionality built in.

Lucie, I had no idea what a responsive template was, but I'm glad I accidentally picked one now! Boooo for having to start again though

Lots of sympathy needed - my poor old brain has been completely befuddled by children and can't cope with too much coding lol
    Shamefully, my 9 and 7 year olds seem to find it easier than I do.

Your website is gorgeous Lauren. Mine is so Google unfriendly behind the scenes it's unreal!! Too much render-blocking JavaScript and CSS apparently

Google has already started downgrading sites that do not have at least a mobile friendly version, so it's just a matter of time before everything has to be fully responsive.
    Looks like you had a lucky escape. Lots of hard work though!

How does the ecommerce side of your site work?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I built mine with Wordpress using WooCommerce and really like it. It was a pretty steep learning curve though. I used a template from Yi Themes that already had ecommerce functionality built in.

Lucie, I had no idea what a responsive template was, but I'm glad I accidentally picked one now! Boooo for having to start again though
    I picked an WooCommerce friendly theme in case I ever get round to doing that! Glad to hear it works for you

Your website is lovely Lucie - your photography is gorgeous!

You have all of my sympathy - I haven't a clue about coding and it was hard enough just working with an existing template.

Ecommerce is all done by Woocommerce. I also used a plugin of theirs called Product Add-ons which enables customers to add personalisation details. I only use the basics of Woocommerce - I think it can be set up to do quite complicated things, but the most complicated I get is adding variations and personalisation. I think if you're coding from scratch, there are probably better e-commerce things out there, but I had the choice in my template between Woocommerce and WPEcommerce.