Thread: hallmarking info for using customers existing marked jewellery

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default hallmarking info for using customers existing marked jewellery

New one for me.

I have a customer who wants me to add her unaltered plain band to a new design that adds two similar 1.2mm wide d band rings to it with some mounts and a design to connect the three. What do I do about the hallmarking? She doesn't want to lose the one she already has, but I have to send it in, given the additional metal.

I don't want it to be struck out, as each piece can only have one mark, how will this be sorted. Will the metal just be verified and an additional mark added?

thanks for any info.

If you're adding metal to an already hallmarked article it will have to be submitted to an assay office for retesting. I'm sorry but the original hallmark has to be erased and a new hallmark will be applied. The reason for this is as you say, an article will only have one hallmark, and if you join an already hallmarked item to another, you are, in effect, creating a "new" article, and although some of it has been tested already, some of it has not.
    Sorry Wallace, but I'm afraid that's the law

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

that, as you may have guessed, given my experience with that fork, was what I thought. Will let my lovely customer know.

thank you Steve