Thread: Help?!

Default Help?!

I have been asked if it is possible to make a basic trace chain out of 2 old necklaces - to which I said yes of course. The problem is the customer wants the 2 old necklaces melted down and made into wire to make the new necklace. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to do this. Does anyone know where I can get it done? It would have to be drawn down to 1mm wire.

Thanks in advance,

Rae

I would rather attempt the Seven Labours of Hercules than take this job on. It sounds like a great deal of work and mither for potentially not much remuneration. Does the customer have deep pockets and an I'll-pay-whatever-it-costs attitude?

As with other things that are bad for your health, just say no.
    Each link will be soldered, so you'll have solder contaminating the melt making life even more fun.

When I told her that the old chains would become scrap and their value would be taken off the cost of my making the chain her face fell!! I told her I would put some feelers out and see what I could find out for her. I think because she has had things 'refashioned' in the past, she thinks it's easily done but she's only had big chunky pieces made. I'm glad I gave myself a get out clause - thanks for your help.

Bullet dodged. If this was a money-no-object scenario, I'd purify the gold by enquartation and subsequent nitric acid use, realloy it to a known purity then cast it and draw it down to wire. There would have to be a very compelling reason though.