Thread: Pitting from barrel polisher

Default Pitting from barrel polisher

Hi

I'd love some advice on the best stainless steel shot to use with my barrel polisher. Small items are fine but if I polish anything slightly bigger - even a ring - there are tiny pit marks all over the silver. The marks really are tiny so the silver almost has a bit of glittery finish rather than being nice and smooth.

I've tried removing all the needles from my shot but I'm still having the same problem. There are tiny balls in the shot and I'm wondering if they're doing it? I've read conflicting information online as to whether small or big shot is better and would like some advice before I splash out on some new shot.

Any ideas?

Well yes, advice is conflicting, because various members swear by different shot, for instance That from Manchester Minerals, or that from Rio Grande.

I'm surprised that picking out the needles didn't solve your problem, but most of us have shot well conditioned by use. For instance after trying to blunten my needles one by one, I ran them overnight with seaside pebbles and soap. They are now OK(ish) with wires, but still leave a texture on flat areas.

I can't really explain why we all see things differently, but for me it's accept the texture or find another way. Dennis.

I recently got some mixed shot from Cookies and have no problems at all. I have polished all shapes and sizes from large bezel mounts to fine chain. Perhaps I've been lucky. I only fill the barrel to a maximum of a third including shot, water etc

Well you're a lucky dog, Sir or Madam. Dare I waste more money on yet another lot of ammunition? Curved objects and wires are less prone, of course. Dennis.