Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spinner bangles?

I have a plumbers Go-Gas torch for things my little one wont solder, never had a failure yet with it. You can buy the torch in B & Q and places like that. I cant remember how much it was but it was under £30.

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. The first edge I splayed i put the bangle down on the stake, and worked it round and round in a circular motion, holding on to the sides of the bangle with my hand (I can't remember the exact thickness of the copper but it was quite thin - maybe 0.5 - 0.6m and hammering the edge was out of the question). The second side I had less to hold on to which is why it was trickier and I ended up distorting (and ultimately discarding) it.

I'm on the look out for a better solution as I love bangles, which is why the boules sounded a good idea - I'd make the bangle and spinner, tape the spinner to the middle of the bangle to temporarily keep it in place. Then sandwich the bangle between the two spheres and tap with hammer. Possibly being optimistic that both sides would splay at the same time?

Just looked at boules on ebay and I think the ridges may be a problem and mark the metal - in what way did you find they weren't they right?
    I was making it from 5 x 1.7 silver. I hammered the edges to taper a bit, but I think it needed to be thinner. This is why the boules didn't really work for me because they are quite small. I wasn't bothered with the ridges as I was intending to have a hammered finish, partly because the girl likes it, but also because I'm not proficient enough (yet!) to get a smooth finish. I think if I had thinner and wider wire it might have worked. In the end I hammered tops and sides to give it corners and an organic shape. I think it's acceptable as I had to wrest it from the daughter who said it was too good for the rellie

I bet a hydrolic press would do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    If it was wide enough, and you tape the inner bit down, could you do it on a sinusoidal stake?
    Probably, but I don't have those skills yet. I don't think I could trust myself not to mangle the spinner either.

Yes Carole, that would be the sensible thing to do, but rightly or wrongly I'm always looking for an easy (quicker?) way to supplement my lack of practice. I do like a bit of anticlastic raising for bangles though and I have lots of ideas in my head/on paper. Just wish i had a bigger torch at home for annealing (vetoed as I have DS, DIL and twin babies living here and torch needing tank of propane is, apparently, a ). Sigh. And no hammering during napping times. Bigger sigh.
    yup, annealing was really hard, though I seem to have got the hang of the little torch. If I use that in conjunction with the proxxon I can get bigger things annealed, but I think I'll take Pat's suggestion on and buy a plumber's torch.

You've got me wondering whether a hydraulic press would work. I don't think it would as the force would probably split the seam. If you could get tubing the right size, I reckon you could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    You've got me wondering whether a hydraulic press would work. I don't think it would as the force would probably split the seam. If you could get tubing the right size, I reckon you could do it.
    I'm talking about hydrolic presses though... totally different thing!

Heads off to the rubbish spelling corner!

Pat - now that you mention it I do believe that somewhere in my garage stuffed full of unpacked boxes I should have a plumbers torch! I think Dennis may have recommended it many moons ago but as an absolute novice I found it to be a bit of a flame thrower and lacking control took fright and ditched it in favour of a petite hand held. I'll search it out tomorrow and put a fresh battery in the smoke alarm

Medusa - mine was more like 20mm x 0.5mm - I don't think I could manage at all with 5mm x 1.7mm! It must have been beautifully delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I'm talking about hydrolic presses though... totally different thing!

Heads off to the rubbish spelling corner!
    Ah, I see. I wish I had one of those! xx

Yes it is a bit of a flame thrower, and quite roary, but it works, just be careful it doesnt melt stuff, it is quite hot.

It must have been beautifully delicate.
    ummm... no! that is what I aimed for, but failed! Will post a pic later.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Yes it is a bit of a flame thrower, and quite roary, but it works, just be careful it doesnt melt stuff, it is quite hot.
    I'll bear that in mind. I am quite experienced at melting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I have posted this before, but by making an unauthorised modification out of a piece of copper or brass strip to fit the burner, you can slide it partly over the air holes to get a gentler, more bushy flame. It doesn't roar so much then.

The strip is left unsoldered and the ends are bent out a bit, in an Ω shape so that it can slide more easily. Don't touch it while it is hot though. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg