Thread: Hallmarking mixed metals

Default Hallmarking mixed metals

Hello, me again with another question...

Have had a quick search through old posts but am still a bit confused (easily done)

I've got plans to make some bangles that will need hallmarking. They are silver and bronze, and the silver part will be over the 7.78g limit. I'm under the impression that they need to go on a seperate hallnote to my other silver things, but I don't know whether that means I have to pay a seperate minimum charge with it being a seperate hallnote?

I'm really hoping not because I was only planning on making a few and it's going to make them end up being so expensive it won't be worth it.

Where are you registered Claire? At Birmingham they will accept them all on one note

Hi Jill,
    I'm registered at London, I guess I will have to give them a call to find out. Fingers crossed they're the same as Birmingham!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I am with London and have sent mixed metals (9ct and sterling) in on the same note, but it has come back with just the Sterling mark. That was again the experience of my last submission a few weeks ago.

Let us know what they say, and if anyone knows Edinburgh's take on it as well.

I will do.

If you're sending in item of only silver and items of silver with another metal (e.g. silver and copper) then you can put them all on the one hallnote. You will need to mark the appropriate ones on the hallnote as "mixed metal" and tick the "Mixed metal" box as well as the relevant fineness of silver box. Start off by listing down the silver only items and then list those with mixed metal so they are grouped, which makes it easier and quicker for us to spot which is which.

If the item is a mixture of silver and non precious then you'll get the "+metal" mark in addition to the silver mark. If the item is silver and another precious metal and you don't tick the "mixed metal" box you may not get the part mark for other precious metal.

Mixed metal marks with mixtures of precious metals will be applied at the discretion of the assay office and there may be a number of reasons why the part park is not added, but certainly the most common is that the relevant box isn't ticked!
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 27-05-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Hi Steve
    Thanks for clarifying that, and sorry it took a while to get back to you, I was away all last week. I'm pleased to hear I can put everything on the same hallnote, it will certainly make things a lot easier! Now I just need to get round to making the planned bangles...

my pleasure, and looking forward to seeing the finished articles!