Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most accident prone woman in the world, and diamonds.

Default The most accident prone woman in the world, and diamonds.

So I got my first couple of decent diamonds recently. One for a simple engagement ring (2mm hammered silver band,18ct tube setting). I'm happy to say the lady was pleased (she did the 'OH!' when she opened the box. Pic does not do justice to the stone at all, (and was pre-polish). The other diamond I put into a ring that is far more 'typically me'.
    The point is, I am, as many of you know, accident prone. With this in mind, the diamonds were set with my hands inside my 24" x 24" photography tent, a towel between my chest and tent, and a sticky mat under the stones. None were lost. Hooray!
    I set the stones with no disaster, all well and good. I polished them, nothing exciting happened.

I confess to being quite cheerful about all this.

I then started making a simple silver band, with the words 'all will be well' stamped on it (ha, hollow laugh). Forming the band I notice blood all over my half-round pliers. Eh? Also over my bench stake, and the ring itself, and my shirt. Seems the edges were so sharp that I'd slashed both my thumb and forefinger open really impressively deeply without even noticing. Good job I know where we keep the first aid kit (and a friendly fellow studio holder wasn't squeamish) I evened up my hands then by sawing into my other index finger. Another plaster.
    I am consoling my sore hands with a couple of days off. I would like an actual 'days since last accident' counter I think.

Here's the sparklies anyway. Apols again for pic quality.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robyn.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	7713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1dr.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	7714

OMG Lydia, you really did have a hard day! I have to say the rings are stunning! I love rough finishes and the wide band is very much to my taste.

The diamonds look beautifully set, really stunning work, something I aspire to!

Ah, you deserve the Croix de Guerre Lydia, all in the cause of art. Dennis.

Well done on the rings!
    Ive done the slicing open thing too, you aren't alone, not sure I should be allowed near sharp things and flames at all LOL

Great job Lydia - I particularly like the simplicity of the narrow band.

I'm sporting multiple plasters too - thumb and finger of one hand from a spinning disc (this one was plain stupidity) and index finger of the other courtesy of (of all things) an emery board - which turned out to be far more vicious than might be imagined...

I've sawn into the middle finger of my left hand so many times I have a permanent silver tattoo just beside the nail.

Dennis, I'd probably do myself a mischief on that!
    George, I wondered how I'd got a blue 'tattoo' on my middle finger! (Right hand for me because I'm a Southpaw)

My left hand and fingers have quite a few black dots where I have pierced it with saws and files over the years.

James

I love both rings but its the wide one for me. My day has been melting three bezels to go on rings, gave up for today, try again tomorrow.

They look fab Lydia......glad you got them done with no mishaps or losses!!

Ouch! It really is blood, sweat and tears when your work IS your hands.. enjoy the break I reckon, you need it! I love your distinctive style, which I see in both rings, lovely!
    Sam