Thread: Laser engraving photographs

Default Laser engraving photographs

I've always turned down laser engraving photographs because most of the ones I've seen done have been very superficial and didn't want to
    do a job that wouldn't last 5 minutes.

In this case though we had the chance to do a nice deep engraving that will stand the test of time. A bit of Platinol and a final polish and it's good to go! :-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog_2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	7731

Not bad; wonder how halftone screens would work with that sort of thing? Too transitory?

Don't know if you saw the Laserstar kit being demoed at IJL - they were playing with engraving Ti and using the oxide colours generated. The complaint was that the colours were muddier in London than they had been generating across the pond, possibly due to air quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not bad; wonder how halftone screens would work with that sort of thing? Too transitory?

Don't know if you saw the Laserstar kit being demoed at IJL - they were playing with engraving Ti and using the oxide colours generated. The complaint was that the colours were muddier in London than they had been generating across the pond, possibly due to air quality.
    I have the capability for colours on my machines but it's too hit and miss for me to get excited about. It works best on stainless steel but to achieve the same results every time can be troublesome. Even differing thicknesses and grade of material can affect the colour.

Did you engrave this from the original photograph, or did you need to bring out the lines in photoshop / gimp ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Did you engrave this from the original photograph, or did you need to bring out the lines in photoshop / gimp ?
    It was scanned from a photograph, then tweaked in Photoshop and imported into Corel to convert to an SVG file.

Thank you Is it something you're now offering (if a suitable graphic is provided)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Thank you Is it something you're now offering (if a suitable graphic is provided)?
    Yes we can offer these as part of our engraving service.

That looks great Alan. What would the turnaround time be?

thats a good idea, will you be putting photos on the website?