Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting rectangular wire

Default Cutting rectangular wire

Hello - I'm trying to cut rectangular wire strip 2mm x 1mm x 50mm (or longer) in sterling and fine silver metal sheets. Cutting by hand those thin strips are a bit of a nightmare and I'm hoping that someone here can give me some advice on a better way.

The best thing I've found so far is a guillotine which cuts flat; like the pepe tools guillotine shear. But is this good for cutting very thin strips or is there something more suitable that I could use?

Thanks in advance ....

I would either be sawing or using wire cutters and filing the ends flat after.

The easiest way is to order it ready cut.

Failing that if you have a mill, you can soon work out which round or square wire rolled down (and then stretched to straighten it), will give you the strips you need.

Looking into the future, a rolling mill is likely to be a better investment than a bench shear. Dennis.

Saw.

(Post too short, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Saw.

(Post too short, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet)
    Learned something new today:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/114222. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Learned something new today:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/114222. Dennis.
    It crops up in some unexpected places, Dennis, and in some downright unfortunate ones.
    I'd use a saw too, Becks.

Thank you Mark, I expect it makes sense after a wee dram, or two.

I must say for bezels there is nothing better or waste free, than stock made from wire:

1.0mm round will roll down to 1.5 x 0.4mm
    1.5mm round will roll down to 2.0 x 0.5mm
    2.0x1.0 rectangular will roll down to 2.2 x 0.5mm

Re-annneal, clamp one end in a vice and pull to staghten, if necessary.

Unless you enjoy piercing, of course. Dennis.

As Peter said, use a saw. If you are starting from a piece of sheet, use a large file to file the strip edge of the sheet square and flat, mark the width of the strip required along the filed length using dividers, then pierce along the length cutting along the waste side of the strip, then if needed grip the pierced strip in a hand vice and file the cut edge clean.
    To file, mark and piece a 50mm. length of 1mm. thick silver should only take a few minutes. The main benefit of sawing strips is that they do not distort.
    One final tip is when piercing hold the saw frame at right angles and pierce across the bench pin, I see so many beginners piercing sheet by holding the saw straight and piercing away from their face down the bench pin edge, which means that they cannot clearly see where they are cutting. One final piece of info is that if you need a lot of strips, you can buy 2mm. x 1mm. fine silver rectangular wire from Cookson.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 15-05-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Default Flattening Wire

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I would either be sawing or using wire cutters and filing the ends flat after.
    Hi all - thanks for the advice. I'll probably go for flattening the square wire down with my mill as I need quite a few lengths of the bezel wire.

I misunderstood - sorry. Is there a reason you don't want to buy the rectangular wire as is?