Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting rectangular wire

Your benchpeg looks a lot wider than most of the ones i have acquired. The one that comes with my GRS which I use most of the time is only 6cm wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Your benchpeg looks a lot wider than most of the ones i have acquired. The one that comes with my GRS which I use most of the time is only 6cm wide.
    My benchpeg is 7cm. wide Pat, I buy these standard ones from Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-081

James

Perhaps I will try one like you have - half an inch can make a big difference when you struggle to saw in a straight line. I tend to snip most of my thinner stuff and then file, its quicker.

Speaking as an amateur, the greastest cause of broken saw blades is movement, however slight of the piece while piercing. This becomes more common if the steadying hand is laxcking in strength.

You can prove this for yourself, by putting the work in a vice.

As for sawing straight lines, my lines become straighter and more confident, if I lean the blade slightly forward. This is against against all orthodox teaching, but you must judge it by results. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    The blade travels across the V hole in the bench pin and I move whatever I am piercing with my free hand while piercing. If I was piercing off a strip from a sheet, I mark my cutting line, then when piercing I move the sheet across the bench pin keeping the saw blade cutting within the V cut, this way I can see where the blade is cutting easier and both sides of the cutting area is supported.
    I see, thanks. So the direction the saw blade is facing is not so much at a right angle to you as at a slight diagonal.