Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at a chain

Default First attempt at a chain

Had the day to myself so made the most of it, I tried making a chain for the first time. Art the links are different, partly because I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself for uniformity, but mostly because I dislike symmetry. It's ok, I like that it lays flat against my skin so doesn't feel too chunky, but has a substantial look. The larger links are made from round sterling wire in 2mm and 3mm, some hammered, some smooth, with .5mm sheet cut to form the joining links.

I turned it around to get a photo of the clasp.

Thats a good handsome chain Julie. People will comment on that and ask you about it. I shouldnt be surprised if you add new bits and pieces with time. Dennis.

Thank you so much Dennis! Probably a bit rough and ready but it's very 'me'! I shall have it hallmarked and keep it forever!

That's lovely Julie, the hook fastening complements the necklace perfectly!!

Thats really striking! I love the different links and the hook too. Did you solder all the links closed?
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    That's lovely Julie, the hook fastening complements the necklace perfectly!!
    Thank you Jill! I love hook clasps, this is my first one, so a bit 'rustic' but works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyjean View Post
    Thats really striking! I love the different links and the hook too. Did you solder all the links closed?
    Sam
    I did solder them all Sam - it was a great learning process, and using my new torch too (Sievert). Can't wait to start my next piece!

wow! I love that!

Wow, I like that too, also very me.

I made something similar for myself years ago and love it. Consequently I have made a few for others after they have seen me wearing it. So you are sure to get some orders. Be prepared!
    Lovely chain BTW. Classic easy to wear style that will never be out of fashion.