Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flex shaft recommendations please

Default Flex shaft recommendations please

Hi everyone. Could you please give me recommendations for a good pendant motor, flexshaft, handpiece and foot pedal? I currently have a hand held Dremel (which I have mounted into a drill press) but the lowest speed seems to be too fast when accurately drilling holes using drill bits and setting burrs for flush set stones. I want something which can go more slowly and is more controllable.

Many thanks!

Jayne

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Flex shaft recommendations please

Well I only have experience of my Foredom and my Dremel 4000 before that. I really like the Foredom very controllable, good torque at low revs and lots of different handpiece options.

I now only use the Dremel for none Jewellery work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Thanks Barry. I do see the Foredom name mentioned a lot so I assume it's a good brand? Is there a particular model I should look for? Can't see any available through Cooksons - only Dremel, Proxxon, Milbro and one (which maybe is their own make?) - Rc308 Pendant Drill With Slim Hand Piece. Anyone have experience of any of those?

I've got the "own brand" one as I couldn't afford any of the others but I must say, so far, it's been excellent. It makes such a difference to have the foot pedal for control. I've had it about a year now and (hope I'm not tempting fate here) it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I no longer have my foredom pendant, as I went to a micromotor. However, when I did have one, it was a great item and worked for five years without any problems. The new owner stated it was still doing what it was supposed to do.

With foredom, the after service is wonderful. I have a hammer handpiece that is over 3 years old and it went wrong (apparently my cat sat on the box and it went from forward to reverse. I should have learned with my cat, when she was a kitten she chewed through the whole wire and detached the handpiece completely) Anyhoo - I wrote to foredom and they offered to make it well again, even after several diagnostics that led to finding out the misdeeds of my cat). Apparently, the hammer motor does not like to work in reverse and it dies very quickly if it happens. I was sent a replacement handset and returned my original one for repair. Cost of sending to and fro was infinitely cheaper than purchasing a new piece. I do not know of any other companies that offer such an amazing after service, even when the guarantee is no longer in place.

Think about that bit too. Good luck with what you decide to go for.

Ditto Barry, Ive only had a Dremel and a foredom but I do love my Foredom and the reason I switched was mainly down to the same problems you are experiencing - you will find the foredom a massive improvement for drilling and using burrs.
    I bought this one:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/power-t...plete-kit.html

And a stand and hammer handpiece separately.

Thanks Enigma! I was looking at that exact Foredom kit on another site, but the one in your link is cheaper .. hurrah!! ) Which hammer handpiece did you buy? Does that work the same way as the GRS ones I've seen, that can be used for burnishing the metal over when flush setting stones?

I think it was this one:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/power-t...handpiece.html
    but I originally ordered the wrong one and the guy at Suttons emailed me to advise so maybe best to check.
    Yes you can use it for burnishing although you need to shape the end and I don't think it works as neatly as the GRS system although can't say for sure as Ive never set stones with that only seen it made to look incredibly easy on a youtube vid!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamjar View Post
    I was looking at that exact Foredom kit on another site, but the one in your link is cheaper .. hurrah!!
    It's even cheaper here (price includes VAT and delivery), unless you get a discount from Suttons.
    The GRS system is air-powered, so it's really a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    It's even cheaper here (price includes VAT and delivery), unless you get a discount from Suttons.
    The GRS system is air-powered, so it's really a different animal.
    While doing work for the OS and filing down gold inlay and having problems settings stones, it was the first time in all these years that I wished I had a pendant motor. I realised how much time, filing, and effort, stone setting, I would have saved.
    Thanks for the link Mark, what a great price. I think I see a treat doing on unless someone can advise on something better to meet my needs