Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flex shaft recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Thanks for the link Mark, what a great price. I think I see a treat doing on unless someone can advise on something better to meet my needs
    The other option to consider, Caroline, is the Foredom K1070 micromotor kit. It's very light in the hand, you have no drive cable to contend with, and you don't need to suspend a "pendant" motor above your head to enable the drive cable to turn freely. If money was no object, though, I'd have the brushless micromotor with both rotary and hammer handpieces.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    The other option to consider, Caroline, is the Foredom K1070 micromotor kit. It's very light in the hand, you have no drive cable to contend with, and you don't need to suspend a "pendant" motor above your head to enable the drive cable to turn freely. If money was no object, though, I'd have the brushless micromotor with both rotary and hammer handpieces.
    Mark.
    I saw that but no! Unlike most others I've never needed one for polishing but I suppose it would be useful for small things and I bought a wee proxxon bench drill a couple of years ago so don't need it to drill holes. I could see a use for grinding, setting, as it became obvious to me that I can't do it properly purely by hand and I had real problems pushing over settings for bigger stones in bought settings and as I said grinding down inlays and soldered rivets. I would like to tackle settings stones this year and anything to aid me in that would be great.
    The only problem would be yet something else to clutter up my bench but I suppose I could put up a wee shelf!

http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/STR...m.html#SID=350 - know a few people using this, I've tried it and it's pretty good especially at that price. Compares well with my Foredom brushed unit. They have another higher torque one that costs a bit more too.

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and suggestions. I have bought the Foredom SR pendant motor from Suttons (it was the cheapest supplier I could find) and am eagerly awaiting for it to be delivered! Hoping this will mean doing flush settings will now be a doddle ) Thanks again x

Hi Enigma,

I now have my lovely Foredom pendant kit (the same one you said you have) but just have a quick question. Is there a special attachment for fitting in smaller drill bits as the H20 handpiece only seems to accept 2.35mm shanks. I already have a set of drill bits ranging from 0.3mm upwards but they are too small to fit into the Foredom hand piece.

Many thanks in advance! )

I use one of these, it's a bit of a faff and there may be slicker ways.
    You may well end up buying a handpiece with a jacobs chuck as well, it will come in useful.

I went over to 2.35 shank drills; I've got one of the shanked pin vices but I can't remember when I last used it. Depends what you're doing, but I don't need a huge array of sizes as the drill is just there for the pilot hole; I open out with ball burrs.
    I also resharpen my drills with a diamond impregnated rubber wheel.
    (And as I've mentioned before, grind my own short carbide bits, but you have to be a bit crazy to do that)

Thanks for your help Peter. Will maybe stick with my current drill to drill the pilot hole and see how I get on. To flush set a 3mm stone, would you drill a 2mm hole then open out with a 2.8mm ball burr and then a slightly bigger stone setting burr? Some tutorials seem to say make the hole the same size as the stone and others say leave it slightly smaller. Any advice appreciated )

The size of ball burr is not critical, as you can choose to insert a larger one, but less than half way.

The setting burr can be a little undersized to compensate for any wobble in using it. I pesonally save wear on this expensive item, by turning it by hand in a universal handle- Cookson 999AZM.

A tiny amount of light oil helps too and of course you need callipers to verify the match of the burr to the stone.