Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delft clay

Default Delft clay

Hello

I have recently bought a delft clay casting set of rings which have a "Side hole" which is roughly the size of a 50p piece.

When I bought the rings, I was offered a set of rings with or without a side hole...when I asked the seller what advantage the side hole was for, she said it helped when casting flat objects like coins, which is exactly what I bought the delft set for.

However, I looked on YouTube for a video which showed a casting ring with a side hole but no videos are available.

So, can anyone explain ...or share a link...how I use the side hole to cast a coin please ?

Many thanks

Ive never seen these so hoping somebody knows!
    Is the side hole large enough to pour through?

I've seen casting flasks for Delft that have a pour hole at the side, but not rings. http://www.ottofrei.com/Sand-Casting-Flask.html is one.

Got a picture?

Default Casting with delft clay

Hi there, I've recently done some casting using the traditional delft clay set - no side hole. I was casting Daisies, not coins but it was a similar flat object.
    To make the delft mould the daisy had to lay flat between the two rings. Any object to be cast using the traditional ring has to be of such a design that the two halves of the mould can be separated cleanly. That means you can't put an object in the mould edgeways because you won't be able to separated the two halves. In my case the funnel for the molten metal HAD to be directed to one face of the daisy. There was no option but to sacrifice detail on one face of the daisy. This wasn't a problem for my design but the backs of the daisies needed significant cleaning up and any detail would have been lost. I'm thinking that a side hole would enable one to create the funnel to go 'edge on' to the coin.
    Does the side hole come at the junction between the two rings?
    If it does, my guess, and this is all I'm offering, is that you use the side hole to create the pouring funnel. The molten metal will effectively come in at the side rather than down onto a face. This will enable you to create a mould in the normal way, making sure you've got your air vents etc. but then, instead of creating the pouring funnel at the top, use the side hole to create it. This would, I think enable you to get a clean face on both sides of the coin.
    I've tried to include a pic of the result of pouring from the top, but for some reason I can't make the photo small enough to upload. Have look on my blog under 'step by step -daisy chain necklace' and you will see the large sprue projecting from one face of the daisy. If I could have poured from the side I would have preserved both faces.

Hope this is helpful and not too rambling. Good luck.
    Didi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2286.jpg  

If it's the ones I looked at prior to purchasing mine (without) it is indeed a pouring hole
    All the gear and no idea

Slight thread hijack - but can I just say how much I love the finished daisy necklace Didi - I was admiring it only yesterday

I'm going to hijack this thread too to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog Dee. The delft clay bit was very interesting to anyone who's struggled with it, as I have.

Another one hijacking your thread Didi, today how much I enjoyed reading your blog and how helpful the delft clay process was!!
    The necklace is gorgeous, but I absolutely love the bracelet!!

Have to say also, brilliant blog, could read ones like that all day, really inspiring.

George, Carole, Jill and Trialuser. Thank you so much for your very kind comments. To have such wonderful jewellers as yourselves like my stuff is, well, it's a bit amazing. Thank you.
    Didi