Thread: Casting Gold

Default Casting Gold

I can't believe I'm actually having to ask this, but that's another thread

Are there any significant differences between casting silver and gold using the delft method? Should I be using separate scorifier etc?

Many thanks, I'm off to run round the house in blind panic/headless chicken mode
    All the gear and no idea

I use a separate dish - the whip system I use means spare dishes are only a few pounds so I have no problems with having extra ones. It does take more heat and definitely works better with higher carat gold.

I've only done this occasionally though, so I'm by no means an expert!

I use a kiln so a separate crucible.
    It takes longer to get a good liquid pour from the kiln but other than that I haven't found much difference.
    I use Borax but I use that with silver anyway.
    Ive cast 9ct red, yellow and white so far, weirdly red was the easiest.

I shall look forward to seeing what you are making!

I don't know if this is helpful, as I don't do my own casting, but a lot of my casters have had trouble with porosity in my gold castings when they try to use too much reclaimed gold. For some reason, it's never an issue with Argentium of Sterling silver. Using new gain seems to make a huge difference.

Thank you all. It would be using new grain. I have no idea of design yet I'm just researching my options at present to see what's practical. My current concern is whether my MAPP gas Rothenberger Brazing torch will give me the extra 100° to cast gold. It'll be expensive to find out it doesn't (wracking my brains for a nearby oxyaceteline user just in case). It breezes through silver grain so would hope an extra 100-150 odd won't be an issue.

My current scorifier has a crack so would be a good excuse to renew I guess too!
    All the gear and no idea