Thread: working with argentium

Default working with argentium

I've just bought some argentium to have a play with, I think I like it, it fuses beautifully, just don't play with it whilst it's too hot.
    Does anyone know how it behaves with ferric nitrate etch? I will do a test but I thought I'd ask here first.
    Also, given that it's tarnish resistant, can I oxidise it as normal with the usual stuff, or will I need to use something more 'paint like' in the etch pattern.
    Anyone got any advice or tips :-)

I also like it for fused or balled up pieces, but find it hard to work with in sheet form as it does need more support, and needs to be cooled carefully. I find the wire more useful than sheet if I'm honest.

I've etched it with no problems at all.

It works fine with platinol (I don't use liver of sulphur for silver so can't comment on whether that works), but I've never really seen the point of using a tarnish resistant material that costs more than sterling and then deliberately 'antiquing' it!

I like the fact that it's easy to heat harden (I bung mine in the aga).

It's worth noting that the germanium layer (which provides the tarnish resistance) only comes to the surface after heating, so there's not much benefit to using it for things like chain maille unless the finished piece is heated.

That said, it's brilliant for viking knit, where the extra softness is really helpful.

Thanks for that. I don't want to antique it as such, I just want to highlight (lowlight, darken) the etch pattern.
    I don't have an aga but I think I read somewhere it can go in a kiln @300C for an hour or so.