Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering a bought in clasp to a jumpring

Default Soldering a bought in clasp to a jumpring

I'm about to solder these clasps http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...p?query=nvdb10 onto a silver jumpring which is 1.5/8id. Obviously I don't want to bugger up the clasp and ruin the spring inside.

How would you solder it? Use a third hand for the clasp and then solder the ring as normal?

Or some other way...?
    Jules

You *know* what I'm going to say...

Wot, send it to you ?
    Jules

Laser or PUK, no risk to the spring.
    Could embed the thing in wet tissue, heat gel or possibly a potato (might be tricky).
    Crosslock tweezers holding the jump ring while the clasp is immersed in water would work too.

8mm id is huge - the flame shouldn't be going anywhere near enough the clasp itself for there to be any risk of the spring being damaged. If you're really concerned, bury it in wet sand / suspend in a dish of water or even just a bit of soaked cotton wool, but I wouldn't do any more than hold the ring with either a third hand or locking tweezers to just create a bit of a heat sink.

I tend to coat spring clasps in thermogel as I previously had problems soldering on occasion.

in the past i put the clasp into a cup of water with just the jump ring out of the water. But i cracked my cup with the heat

Well i was using a water torch so i was just adding to the water content of the flame.
    Neil

I know it's a gadget, but this is a useful little thing for just that problem...

http://www.alchemyandice.com/cool-cu...ers-tools.html

I have a Woolies ashtray for that - tweezers sit nicely in the fag rest notches.

Hope not too far off topic, but when soldered can these type of clasps be pickled or do you suspend them above? I only ask as I assume the springs are steel. But then, now I think, can they be steel if on hallmarked clasps? Oh dear, so many questions...
    All the gear and no idea