Thread: Re Posting thumbnails on the forum.

Default Re Posting thumbnails on the forum.

When I look at my pictures on my computer they seem quite sharp, but when I upload them to the forum they are compressed from around 800 KB to 36 KB so losing a great deal of definition.
    Others whose photographs I admire, seem to do a lot better. Is this due to the quality of their lenses?

Dennis.

I'm not sure Dennis but when we were asked to reduce our photos down for the Open Studios website he tells us to reduce to 500pix which apparently makes them easily transferable. We were given very strict instructions and it's actually quite easy thank goodness! A photographer friend reduces his to 600 so they can't be reproduced. Not sure if this is at all relevant to what you are asking but that size seems to suit all my needs when I put them on my FB page or share them elsewhere

Your images look fine to me Dennis. When you download them (or is it upload?!) do you use the "go advanced" function and then the paperclip?

Your pictures are fine Dennis. I was just looking at your recent thread in Show & Tell (lovely, by the way!) and they are very sharp images. The thumbnails are small, of course, but when you click on them they are a good size and very detailed.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    When you download them (or is it upload?!) do you use the "go advanced" function and then the paperclip?
    Yes, that's what I do Carole and it's kind of both of you to say they're fine Steve, but Its in my nature to try and pushh the bounderies.

They are definitely more fuzzy than my originals and I have noticed, for instance that Jamas Miller's are alwsays perfect, hence my question. I'm on the verge of hiring a more expensive lens for a weekend to find out. Dennis.

Dennis my photos are saved as JPEGs and are sizes between 300KB and 2.5MB but when they are uploaded onto Cooksongold for posting they are reduced to between 20KB and 80KB.
    A lot of my old photos that I post are just scans of my work album photos, they are scanned at 400dpi and saved as JPEGs. My newer digital photos were mostly taken using my Lumix FZ45 with it's Leica lens and some are taken with one of my Nikons fitted with a Micro Nikkor 60mm. lens.
    Your photos look fine on my computer also, but I am a camera nut and have spent thousands on cameras, lenses and equipment so I couldn't tell you not to bother trying a better lens.

Good luck
    James