Thread: Excellent precaution taking

Default Excellent precaution taking

Today I was making a fair few 18ct gold tube settings on rings. I had to cut a long length off, and am used to my tendency to lose things. So, I tacked a towel all around and under the bench area I was working on, had my legs positioned so said towel was bowing down, so anything falling in to it could only end up in the centre. I put a polyboard behind the it I was working at, so should anything be propelled backwards, it could only go into the towel.
    Cut the tube, against all laws of known physics, it launches upwards, hits me between the eyes and bounces up and over the polyboard, never to be seen again. Or at least not that over an hour of sweeping, cleaning and searching on hands and knee could find.

Poor Lydia. However as a last try, I would use a powerful vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool perhaps, and a clean new bag. When you have done your utmost with that, cut open the bag and hopefully it will be there.

But do the whole room, because it could have ended up anywhere on the floor or in any open box or on a shelf. Regards, Dennis.

Ouch! Could try using the vacuum with a pair of tights over the crevice tool? On the positive side, you'll have a nice tidy clean workroom by the time you find it. Good luck!

I once lost a silver and gold earring whilst polishing. Considering my polishing is done in a small porch-like area, you'd think it would be easy to find but it's been 6 months now and I'm considering giving it up completely for lost now.

Poor Lydia!
    Liking the vacuum idea, I normally end up crawling round on my hands and knees with a torch accompanied by two very large and not remotely helpful dogs!
    Worst thing that ever went flying for me was actually a horse tooth I was working on, the girl had kept it treasured for 20 years !
    Thankfully I did find it, would rather have lost anything but that.

The amount of tiny tube bits (I use them as wheel nuts on my rollerskate pendants) I've lost must run into hundreds! They just ping off never to be seen again. At least they're only silver, so you have my sympathies!