Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking charges nearly doubled

Lauren, have you investigated Alan at Geti Titanium? I'm sure he would do a good job for you. Dennis.

I did query it, they said it was because the castings being lasered were a bit bigger than the previous ones. Which I would have been okay with if the lasering was better quality. I left the work with the assay office, hadn't heard anything for two weeks so chased it up. Was told that someone had started the work but then gone off sick and they'd get someone else to finish it. I was a bit worried at that stage!

It was already completed before they told me the cost so there wasn't anything I could do about it at that stage, but was just really disappointed with the quality for that amount of money. I'll just ask a professional laser engraver to do any lasering I need in the future - lesson learned!

Anyway, apologies for derailing the thread about hallmarking charges with my slightly off-topic rant!

Dennis, I'll definitely use Alan for future laser engraving, I've had text engraved by him before and it was excellent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    I have no problem with a rise in costs and accept that the charge is cheaper than some other countries. The point I was trying to make was that it is not a modest price rise, it is a fairly hefty price rise that will obviously have to be added in to my prices as well as the postal charges increase.
    A few examples of invoices and how they would be now.

Cost before 36.48 Cost now 60.96 + 24.48
    Cost before 59.57 Cost now 118.32 + 58.75
    Cost before 39.55 Cost now 62.40 +22.85
    Cost before 37.20 Cost now 79.92 +42.72
    Cost before 48.00 Cost now 62.40 +14.40
    Cost before 47.28 Cost now 48.24 +0.96
    These are as normal delivery.
    I can't edit the post to correct some of the figures quoted as I'd mistakenly left early hall charges on some and omitted vat.It actually makes for even more of an increase. Not labouring the point just wanted to correct my mistakes.

Cost before 36.48 Cost now 60.96 +24.48
    Cost before 59.57 Cost now 118.32 +58.75
    Cost before 37.54 Cost now 62.40 +24.86
    Cost before 37.20 Cost now 78.72 +41.52
    Cost before 36.00 Cost now 62.40 +26.40
    Cost before 35.28 Cost now 59.76 +24.48

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    Not labouring the point just wanted to correct my mistakes.
    I don't think you've laboured the point; it's very useful for consumers (jewelry makers, in this case) to have this sort of first-hand information.
    If "streamlining" and simplification of the hallmarking system leads to price increases of this kind then it might be preferable for things to be complicated again.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

How many times has the excuse "simplification to improve customer satisfaction" been used as a cover for price increases. Not pointing a finger exclusively at LAO - it is common practice from car rental to utility bills.
    I have yet to see "simplification" result in a price decrease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

A mistake surely? I had some tags engraved not so long ago and the price was very modest. They must have made an error in calculating the cost. I do hope you have queried it with them Lauren.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I can only ever send a few things in at a time, which makes hallmarking prohibitively expensive for me (sounds like even more so now, as am currently with LAO). I no longer hallmark things that are underweight, or things I send to the USA.

Their logo laser charges have gone up as well. I had two charms laser engraved with an all over design last year at a cost of around £36. Had the same things done, only slightly bigger, a few weeks ago at a cost of over £250, which was a bit of a shock! The quality was also not good at all, i had to redo all the edges by hand with a scorper and files. I certainly won't be getting any more designs lasered there.

High all
    I have been follwing this thread with interest, can someone explain what the deal is with hall marking in the UK, sounds like it is law

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    High all
    I have been follwing this thread with interest, can someone explain what the deal is with hall marking in the UK, sounds like it is law
    Yes it is. read al about it here: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welco...ful-downloads/

Have a good day, Dennis.

Can I jump in and ask a question please?

I sent off a batch which I received back last week. I had requested the earrings I sent be laser marked, but not anything else.(bangles, pendants etc) When it came back I discovered that all of it had been laser marked. Is that the norm? My husband reckoned it was because they had to get the laser set up for the earrings so thought they might as well just carry on and do the whole lot! It doesn't really matter an awful lot as I was happy with the laser mark but thought I would check for another time in case there was something I particularly wanted stamped.