Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking charges nearly doubled

OK, if that's the case it'll be a bit different - more than one hallnote in a packet all charged with 1 £18 base charge?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Agreed it has to go up, my own prices have also risen. Post office charges are also increased -it is the way of things. It is just the amount, I guess that is shocking.

I swallowed hard when I realised it would be £20 more on the cost. My prices, will continue to reflect this, and oddly, now feel more realistic. Customers are still purchasing - so that is. Good thing.

I like all my pieces to be done. I am glad I can send in a mixed bag, but the last lot I sent in had a mixed metal item, that did not have the 375 mark added to it, so I am confused! (Doesn't take much, I know)!

I have no problem with a rise in costs and accept that the charge is cheaper than some other countries. The point I was trying to make was that it is not a modest price rise, it is a fairly hefty price rise that will obviously have to be added in to my prices as well as the postal charges increase.
    A few examples of invoices and how they would be now.

Cost before 36.48 Cost now 60.96 + 24.48
    Cost before 59.57 Cost now 118.32 + 58.75
    Cost before 39.55 Cost now 62.40 +22.85
    Cost before 37.20 Cost now 79.92 +42.72
    Cost before 48.00 Cost now 62.40 +14.40
    Cost before 47.28 Cost now 48.24 +0.96
    These are as normal delivery.
    Last edited by Anna Wales; 25-04-2015 at 01:04 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    I have no problem with a rise in costs and accept that the charge is cheaper than some other countries. The point I was trying to make was that it is not a modest price rise, it is a fairly hefty price rise that will obviously have to be added in to my prices as well as the postal charges increase.
    A few examples of invoices and how they would be now.

Cost before 36.48 Cost now 60.96 + 24.48
    Cost before 59.57 Cost now 118.32 + 58.75
    Cost before 39.55 Cost now 62.40 +22.85
    Cost before 37.20 Cost now 79.92 +42.72
    Cost before 48.00 Cost now 62.40 +14.40
    Cost before 47.28 Cost now 48.24 +0.96
    These are as normal delivery.
    Agree with you totally. It feels like a hefty rise - very hefty

How can the cost of actually doing the hallmarking have doubled? I must admit that I don't bother with underweight items unless they're one-off commissions and therefore more expensive.

I dont bother then either only if they are over the weight limit.

I can only ever send a few things in at a time, which makes hallmarking prohibitively expensive for me (sounds like even more so now, as am currently with LAO). I no longer hallmark things that are underweight, or things I send to the USA.

Their logo laser charges have gone up as well. I had two charms laser engraved with an all over design last year at a cost of around £36. Had the same things done, only slightly bigger, a few weeks ago at a cost of over £250, which was a bit of a shock! The quality was also not good at all, i had to redo all the edges by hand with a scorper and files. I certainly won't be getting any more designs lasered there.
    Last edited by ShinyLauren; 26-04-2015 at 08:01 AM.

Good grief Lauren! Have you queried the charge with them? I certainly would for an increase of that amount.
    Jules

Of course the Assay offices will have carefully considered the implications of the UK and EU competition laws about abusing a dominant position (especially where compliance is mandatory) I'm sure.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I can only ever send a few things in at a time, which makes hallmarking prohibitively expensive for me (sounds like even more so now, as am currently with LAO). I no longer hallmark things that are underweight, or things I send to the USA.

Their logo laser charges have gone up as well. I had two charms laser engraved with an all over design last year at a cost of around £36. Had the same things done, only slightly bigger, a few weeks ago at a cost of over £250, which was a bit of a shock! The quality was also not good at all, i had to redo all the edges by hand with a scorper and files. I certainly won't be getting any more designs lasered there.
    That's horrendous Lauren!