Thread: my latest conundrum!

Default my latest conundrum!

I had this idea, I think its a good idea, but beyond my limited abilities, so I'm looking for the simplest way to achieve what I want. I envisaged a flower, with butterflies on wires - but I wanted it to be interchangeable between a hair ornament and a brooch - I'm not good at drawing but, something like this - As you can see, Ive made the flower and the butterflies, and have wire for the butterflies. I don't have access to a rolling mill until end September, when I get to go back to my class. This means that if I make the things I need, using wire and tube, it has to be within the limits of what cooksons has to offer. Scale wise, the width of the 'stem' cant really be any wider than 2mm to maybe 3.20mm. The ruler is to show the size of the flower/butterflies that I have made. I don't know whether to try a type of box catch or bayonet, or maybe something else. Any advise would be great. Thanks.
    Sue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	7932
    Also, I don't have a 'proper' torch, just a proxxon and a bit bigger one that is maybe a blazer, but the same sort.

Maybe this photo is more helpful

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	7933

oops, sorry, wrong photo...again

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	7934 If this is the wrong one too, then I give up on uploading photos for now. but anyway, I hope you get the idea of what I have in mind.
    sue.

A bayonet fitting might work well, a box catch would be good but they need some practice. Keep them small and your torch should be able to deal with them no problem.

An alternative might be a simplified box catch - this one is tube & wire, with the hump on the wire latching into the hole drilled in the side of the tube. Simple and needs little tooling.

Name:	catch.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	7939

Oooooh Peter, I think I could kiss you for that alternative! Hopefully, even I could manage that. THANK YOU!!!!

It's easy to tweak, can be dressed up and the fit isn't quite as critical as a "proper" box catch. It won't be as secure either.

Or a "hairgrip type" back.

That's an interesting idea Pat, I'm not sure whether or not it would be substantial/secure enough for the piece though - which I haven't put together yet, so I'm not sure of the weight/balance of the thing. I'm still trying to work out the best way of putting it all together and how best to keep the wires neat etc.