Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Setting - keeping them safe while working!

Default Diamond Setting - keeping them safe while working!

Hello

Thank you so much for the responses I've received to previous posts. This is a fabulous forum for those strange questions that only other jewellers would wonder about! Here's another one:

I have just been commissioned to make an engagement ring in white gold with a solitaire diamond. The person has really gone out of his way to source a diamond that is the most expensive he can afford, and the one he has chosen has special significance for him too. I have set mid-range rubies, emeralds, sapphires and opals before but not a diamond for a commission, and I am feeling a bit anxious about it. My main concern is that my workbench and studio is like most other people's, with plenty of places where a diamond could easily get lost if it accidentally springs out of my grasp at any point while I am handling it! I am wondering if there is a special diamond setting mat or apron on which I could work to reduce the chances of that happening? How do other jewellers keep their gems safe while working with them? All tips and suggestions welcome. Thank you.

My advice will be from the point of view of an amateur only, but they can end up in the most unlikely places:

Remove as much clutter from your work surface as possible and roll up you sleeves.

Keep them in clear box with a lid and replace the lid when they are not needed.

Avoid tweezers at all costs and pick them up with a cone of BluTack, or prepared beeswax.

Lay down a soft velvety cloth to work on, such as a Selvyt cloth or other silver cleaning cloth, so that they can't roll or bounce.

Hunch over the bench, so that you can work well away from the edge

Have a skin, a drawer, or at least an apron as a fail safe. Hope it goes well, Dennis.

I also use a tray that I work in, its clear plastic and I place it on top of a sheet of white paper.
    Best thing for me really was when I learnt to pick up stones with beeswax or blue tack instead of tweezers.

Relax
    Nerves & anxiety won't exactly help much.

Best to wait till that time of the day when you are warmed up & in the mood to tackle certain jobs, otherwise get on with something else...
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 23-04-2015 at 08:24 AM.

I agree with Chris relax,and take a minute to think before you do anything. if you do drop the stone keep the chair where it is until you look around it,also the correct choice of music on the radio is critical ;-)
    Last edited by josef1; 23-04-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: speeling

If you need to lay the stone on your work surface these are fabulous, much better then a soft cloth as it will adhere to the surface. They are brilliant for any small bits.
    The mat itself is easily washed off under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid, if needed.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Beads/Bea...rcode-998-424F

If the diamond pings off on to the floor and you can't locate it, darken the room or wait for nightfall and then shine a torch around to catch the glint off the facets of the stone. I have found CZs and a peridot in this way.

The higher the torch power the better. Holding it parallel to the floor, low down side-lights the stones and it's easier to find them. Failing that, the vacuum tube with tights over the end - as suggested in another thread - works.

Providing you have a tray/bench skin & a fairly tidy bench you really don`t need to have a masterplan for stone finding.
    It`s supposed to be an occasional occurence like spilling tea...if you do it on a regular basis you need to figure out why.

It's very rare (thankfully), but it does happen. Surprising how far a 1mm stone can bounce given it has next to no mass.