Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hardboiled Egg? :)

I forgot to mention, I couldnt make the bleach work on copper- I left some in overnight and it was more 'manky' than oxidised!

Reanaissance wax is great for repelling finger prints from satin finish pieces too, you rub some on with a soft cloth and buff it up before it dries ('cos it goes crusty!) and it leaves an invisible protective layer on the metal.You dont need much so it lasts for ages too.

Default Is this the same as Alum?

I'm about to get 1.5kg of this stuff. Before I do, can someone with more knowledge than me (that's all of you), please confirm if this is OK to use as an alum substitute.

Sodium bisulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many thanks.

Jules
    Jules

Dear Jules, I think you will find this is the active ingredient in Sparex, used in swimming pools and also in the various proprietory safety pickle powders. If you are not very busy that amount could last you 7-10 years. Alum also works, but is aluminium sulphate, often sold in Indian grocers. IF you look at past posts by searching 'pickle', or 'slow cookers' you will see what members do wth it. Kind regards, Dennis.