Thread: Dont Dump that Gammy Gamp.

Default Dont Dump that Gammy Gamp.

If you see a discarded folding umbrella or have a broken one yourself, have a close look. The chances are that the ribs will be made of resin bonded fibres, a splendid resource for pre- finishing recesses and awkward corners of your work.

Pencil length pieces can be used just as they are, with the ends filed to a point or a wedge. Shorter bits cut off with a saw, will also fit into a handpiece, at least they do in mine, or into a clutch pencil for thick 2.0mm leads.

If used in a flex shaft, they can also be loaded with polishing compounds. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Fibre Umbrella Spokes.jpg  

You're such a mine of information Dennis.

Many years ago Dennis, I was told as an apprentice to look out for dumped umbrellas. They had steel ribs and frames in those days and the ribs were made from U shaped steel lengths. Our silversmith box and frame makers fitted these straightened U shaped steel lengths over the edges of thin silver boxes and frames to protect the edges and keep them straight when soldering.

James

I can now do a victory dance and tell the husband there IS a reason I was keeping that dog chewed umbrella!

Thank you Carole, but not really. It all started when out of curiosity, I bought some Superstones from Sutton Tools. I found them too thin, too scratchy and rather expensive for what they were. http://www.suttontools.co.uk/finishi...er-stones.html.

I was interested in what you said James, because even for the small boxes I have made, they needed some straightening after soldering.

Lydia: give the poor dog a bone. Dennis.