Thread: Box clasp

Default Box clasp

My first ever attempt at making a box clasp. It shuts with a 'click' but there is too much up and down movement of the tongue. Did I make the box too deep?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080268.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	7673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080267.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	7674

Well how big you make the clasp depends on what its going on, Theresa.
    If I understand correctly, you mean you have to press down a lot to release it?

I had in mind to put it on a bracelet but had to do something else as I wasn't satisfied.
    Yes, I think I am saying I have to press it down a lot. On top of which the little square on top ends up at an angle instead of horizontal.
    I think the box is too deep (top to bottom) which gives too much play inside.
    Will probably have to experiment until I get it right.
    Complicated isn't it?

Yes they take a bit of working out, but they can be pretty thin, to allow just enough space to extract a shallow tongue.

The kind you show really needs a figure of eight safety catch at the side, incase it is accidentally released and pulls open.

There is also a side opening one, which would have more resistance to undoing.

I'm sorry my old pictures are rather indistinct, as they were only taken for my own records, with a photocopier. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bracelet catch end opening.jpg   Bracelet catch side opening.jpg