Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Setting stones and random thoughts

This is a butterfly description pic that I prepared a while back for someone else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butterfly details.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	7679

James

That's lovely, and clever too. The enamelling is exactly what I was thinking of, but not to as great an extent as you've done it, but what you've done works really really well. Very impressed by that! Thanks.
    Steve

Oh my goodness! Those are fantastic James! absolutely exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesStones View Post
    That's lovely, and clever too. The enamelling is exactly what I was thinking of, but not to as great an extent as you've done it, but what you've done works really really well. Very impressed by that! Thanks.
    Steve
    If you are interested Steve, check out my profile and look at the album of some of my work and you can see some more of my butterflies. (click on the blue Goldsmith to go there)

James, just wondering what enamels you used?
    And was the mouse carved or cast?
    I don't think Ive ever seen such beautiful pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    James, just wondering what enamels you used?
    And was the mouse carved or cast?
    I don't think Ive ever seen such beautiful pieces!
    Sarah, the mouse was a hollow 18ct. casting, the enamels are either Blythe or Schauer enamels.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    If you are interested Steve, check out my profile and look at the album of some of my work and you can see some more of my butterflies. (click on the blue Goldsmith to go there)
    Wow. Really, really stunning. I'm amazed at your craftsmanship, honestly. I've got to gather my thoughts for a while, but one question jumps out at me – how did you keep the enamel powder in a hole to fire it? I'm thinking of the butterfly wings in particular.

It's going to take me a while to go through your pictures in detail. Very nice.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by StevesStones View Post
    Wow. Really, really stunning. I'm amazed at your craftsmanship, honestly. I've got to gather my thoughts for a while, but one question jumps out at me – how did you keep the enamel powder in a hole to fire it? I'm thinking of the butterfly wings in particular.

It's going to take me a while to go through your pictures in detail. Very nice.

Steve
    Steve the butterfly wings are plique a-jour enamelled. There are a few methods of doing this enamelling process, most methods involve using a backing to hold the enamel in place when firing, some enamellers use mica, some use copper and some use platinum. Using platinum foil as a backing is one of the best methods because enamels will not adhere to platinum so you do not have to use acids to clean up the piece after enamelling, like you have to do when using copper as a backing. Check out the Guild of enamellers FB pages; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guild...19453861450309 , it's a great group for beginners to get enamelling info. Or check out their website; http://www.guildofenamellers.org/

James

Thanks James, much appreciated.
    Steve