Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting stones and random thoughts

Default Setting stones and random thoughts

I'm planning on designing some sort of jewellery. I don't even know if 'jewellery' is the correct term for what I have in mind, but the technical stone-setting part will certainly apply.

I really like designing 3D shapes that are designed as flat sheets then folded up into organic shapes – a bit like metal origami. I also like the steampunk/industrial style and nature's wonderful creatures. As I collect gemstones, I thought I would try to put all these themes together and create something a bit unique. It doesn't really matter to me if it sells or not, I just want to try it out.

I had a few thoughts a couple years ago, but I'm now looking to firm up a few ideas and look a bit wider for inspiration. I've been saving up a few small gemstones for this project, as it's been on my mind for a while, and (hopefully) below you can see what I have collected:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project stones.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	7648

They are all Asian sapphires (Kashmiri, Taiwanese, Sri-Lankan), except for the Pakistani Peridot top right. These are not something I would normally collect as they are way too small (about 2mm), but the collector part in me made sure they are good stones – VVS or better.

Dennis has pointed out in another thread that flush setting may be the best way to go, both for a complete novice and as a general way to set stones. By looking at the video he showed me, it certainly looks like something I could do. However, I'm open to any other options for a novice.

I'll have to think about materials and thicknesses, but I won't have to worry too much about exposing the culets as they will all be facing inside the structure and not be next to skin or clothing. As far as I can make out, all I'll have to worry about is making sure it's thick enough to hold the girdle firmly.

I'll be frank, I know nothing about jewellery, I don't even own a watch! If anyone can point me towards anything like this that has been done before I would be very grateful.

Steve

Well stones can be set with beads, claws or in tubes too. Even tapered holes and glue will work for stones with reflective backs, sometimes called mirror backs.

I am more concerned with your ambition to create origami forms. Most of the acute angles required cannot be scored and bent without very painstaking metal work, unless you are only using foil, as with my birds below.

My assay at origami with thicker sheet was done by cutting and soldering to simulate folded metal. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bird Decoration.jpg   g4 Paper Clip Nest.jpg  

Thanks Dennis, nice birds.

My folds won't be quite so severe as that. Mostly they will be around 60-120 degrees or so. I'm planning to either photo or chemically etch the shapes and fold lines so they will be easier to achieve and have sharper corners.

While it's been slow at work today I've been researching inspiration. I know you don't like links on this forum, so if you search Google for 'Elizabeth Goluch', 'Lucian Gaillard', 'Insect Lab' and 'Justin Gershenson-Gates' you'll get an idea of what I'm looking at. Although just this small sample proves that this niche market may already be saturated, so I may look elsewhere for something just for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesStones View Post
    I know you don't like links on this forum.
    All together now folks: OH YES WE DO!

Quote Originally Posted by StevesStones View Post
    I know you don't like links on this forum...
    Per Dennis' comment - we do, what we don't like is spammers trying to sell us junk. So, the system is set to disallow links being posted until a new user has a certain number of posts under their belt - you're well past the limit now

Just seen some carved sycamore seeds that Google has thrown as being by Lucien Gaillard which I rather like.

Ha! OK, I'll try post a few to see if I'm moderated back to my hole...

http://www.elizabethgoluch.com
    (click on 'portfolio')

http://www.kellymccallum.com/gallery-1/

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/lucien-gaillard

http://www.amechanicalmind.com/

A few I found this afternoon. Although, I may find another subject to concentrate on. Insects appear to be well covered.

Steve

Fabulous links, thank you Steve

You're welcome Dennis!

I'm working on a germ of an idea inspired by Jewel Beetles. They won't be too similar to the Steampunk creatures, instead I will create the beetles from a metal framework and set small stones in the wing cases and maybe one of my big stones inside the body. If I can work out a reliable method I will also enable the wing cases to open up, revealing a large stone of some sort. Here's my inspiration:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jewelbeetle1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	7659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jewelbeetle2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	7660

WOW......looking forwards to seeing how you get on with this Steve

Thanks Jill, I made a start last night, but still plenty of planning to do!
    Steve