Thread: Steve's Stones

Default Steve's Stones

Hello, I'm a cut gemstone collector on the south coast and I'd like to thin down my collection quite a bit.

I've been collecting for just over 20 years, and from my first stone – a rose quartz – I have collected almost every precious and semi-precious stone from around the world. Last year my house contents insurer refused to accept my policy due to the value of stones I was keeping there. I previously kept them in storage, but this became too expensive so I moved them home. I still keep some of my favourite stones there.

During this year I've sold quite a bit of my collection to collectors all over the world, but my insurer is still not happy! I've recently updated my blog that I started but didn't finish and it's now available to view. I'm no expert in these things, and it's not my job (I actually work in advertising) so although it's not very professional-looking, it is all perfectly legit. I'm more than happy to meet up with you or for you to visit me in Hove, Sussex.

Please take a moment to have a look. I'm willing to listen to offers for any stones, especially if you plan to purchase more than one stone. Most of my stones are anywhere between 20 and 10 years old, but there are some recent purchases from about 5 years ago.

stevesstones.blogspot.com

Thanks, Steve

So much eye candy!
    All the gear and no idea

You've got some nice looking stones for sale there, Steve.

Just a few things that spring to mind:

Full contact details on your site together with fuller T&C's would be reassuring.
    The images are not very informative, diagnostically speaking. I'm sure better images and more of them would improve your chances of persuading customers to hand over four figure sums for a stone.

Are you primarily a collector or a dealer? If, as you say yourself, you've been trading in stones since you started collecting them 20 years ago and your move from London has put an end to trading, is it perhaps the case that your blog is your new trading post, rather than a way for a collector of 20 years who has insurance issues to start selling off his stock? I know several collectors of valuable artefacts and none of them ever sell anything; they only buy. People who routinely sell as well as buy are generally regarded as dealers, whether this is their primary income or not.

I hope you don't mind the direct approach.

Mark.

Vos and Mark, thanks for your comments.

Full contact details are something I considered, but pretty much ruled out as I have these stones in my home – without contents insurance. I can only imagine what some enterprising urchin may make of that opportunity... Plus, I think my Ts & Cs are fairly well explained – you pay by PayPal so you are fully protected. In addition, if you don't like it/them you can have your money back, no questions. You can come and collect them if you like, so you'll know where I live. What else should I include if you also don't mind me being direct?

Did you click on any of the titles? If you do, you will get a fairly full specification for each stone; carat weight, cut, origin, etc. The only thing missing are the physical dimensions, which would be handy I guess.

My collection is exactly that – a collection. I only traded when I could get a bigger or cleaner stone, or get something that I didn't already have. A friend of mine travelled to Brazil (and South America generally) and Asia extensively for his job and he brought back many stones for me. The stones listed on my blog/website are the ones I have decided to sell, after much soul-searching. I have many more that I keep in secure storage, probably 300 stones. These are the ones I will keep, and they fit nicely into a convenient storage box that doesn't cost too much money.

Although I nearly took your post as quite accusatory, I thank you for the opportunity to clear up any issues a prospective may have.
    Steve