Thread: Lucky Charm #3

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lucky Charm #3

Morning all

This is a very late Christmas present for my daughter. I wasn't in a good place at Christmas and had no idea what to do so I put a pile of casting granules in her card with the promise of making her a special piece of her own choosing. She decided she wanted a four leaf clover.

I also wanted to celebrate and wish her luck on her journey to university, she is the first in our family so I'm rather proud. I wanted to nod to her getting all scientific, so this was the design that transpired. I'm rather pleased with it. She didn't want anything too 'girly' which allowed me to juxtapose the softness of the clover with something a little more 'edgy'.

As a lucky charm charm I wanted it to look filled with symbology and I think this is. There are hidden messages and symbols throughout this piece and from different angles you see both a lucky wishbone and the ace of spades (The highest card in the pack).

On the technical side this was my first ever tube setting so that was really frightening. Knowing that I HAD to get it right first time, as it is the last thing to fit and that I could wreck many hours of toil. Thankfully my burr skills were ok and I chalked up my first facet setting. I must at this point thank the lovely Jill who sneaked this beautiful peridot in as a surprise with some excess luxi she supplied me It felt appropriate to use it for something very special. My daughter loves it and will hopefully treasure it for years to come.

Aaaanyway... Delft cast clover. Dividers are 2mm square wire with a 4mm Peridot mounted in 4.5mm silver tube. To give separation to the pieces the clover is high polished and the dividers are brushed. I did try the other way but due to another 'happy accident' had to make the dividers matte, which works better as they are more true to life.

Right, enough of my rambles. For my third ever finished pendant, I give you 'Lucky Charm #3'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201504152675.jpg   IMG_2015041550608.jpg   IMG_2015041513995.jpg   IMG_201504155428.jpg   IMG_2015041528164.jpg  

All the gear and no idea