Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Hove

Default Hello from Hove

Hello, I'm Steve and I collect gemstones. That sounds like a confession!

I'm looking into some form of etched jewellery design to use a few, and to sell a few stones. As I keep most of them at home my insurers have refused to insure me, so I have to do something about it.

I've made a very amateur blog to show them off and to hopefully sell, but I'm not yet sure of the rules here about posting URLs so I'll have a read and post it later if I'm allowed.

I've got a few ideas, but I'll have a look around here first and post something later.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The members here generally design and make their own jewellery, so they would no doubt be interested in seeing gem stones for sale. All you have to do is to provide a link under 'Shameless Self Promotion'.

If you wish to set your own without venturing too deeply into jewellery making, then some companies such as Kernocraft www.kernowcraft.com supply ready made mounts which you can use. Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

Brilliant! Thanks Dennis, and thanks for the welcome.
    Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I'm sure many will be interested to see what stock of stones you have

Amen! And your future designs too.

Oh, and hi
    All the gear and no idea

Hi Steve and welcome!!

Are you intending to sell stones, make your own pieces with your stones or hoping to have pieces made for you?? Just intrigued!!

Hello Caroline, Vos and Jill – thanks for the welcome!

I've made a post in the Shameless Self Promotion thread as Dennis suggested. Feel free to have a look, and if anyone wants to have a personal tour please get in touch.

Jill, I'm interested in all of those options! I definitely need to do something with all the stones on my blog/website thing. These don't fit into my storage box or my collection plans. I'd also like to design my own jewellery using photo-etched artwork, but I have no idea how I would set the stones in essentially a flat surface with a hole in it. Also, a friend of mine is designing some pieces right now. She works for a manufacturing jeweller in Hatton Garden but would like to design her own, so I sent her a batch of stones to see what she can come up with. Among the stones were sapphires, rubies and an emerald, so I'm hoping they are nice!

If any jeweller would like to use one or more of my stones in their designs I'm sure we can come to an arrangement if the initial price is too great. For example, we could split the proceeds when it sells. I'm thinking out aloud and we'd obviously have to meet up, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by StevesStones View Post
    but I have no idea how I would set the stones in essentially a flat surface with a hole in it.
    You could learn flush setting, also known as Gypsy setting, a skill many new members have learned quite quickly on copper sheet using cheap CZs and hardly any specific jewellers tools.

Put either flush, or gypsy into our search box top right for relevant threads.

Also have a look here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=so...v3LIO8aafygJAF Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-04-2015 at 02:07 AM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Steve,
    Do I recall correctly seeing you on The UKJC? Welcome here from me.

Kindest
    Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You could learn flush setting, also known as Gypsy setting, a skill many new members have learned quite quickly on copper sheet using cheap CZs and hardly any specific jewellers tools.

Put either flush, or gypsy into our search box top right for relevant threads.

Also have a look here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=so...v3LIO8aafygJAF Dennis.
    Dennis, that's excellent, thank you! A very simple setting which completely avoids the need for prongs. Just thinking out aloud, as I will have 3D shapes as my jewellery pieces I will have to set all the stones while it's a flat sheet before I start folding it up into its final shape.

The videos were great and it looks to be relatively simple with minimal tools, just as you said. I'll have a look on this site for more tips and examples.

Cheers, Steve